Can is set up Sharing Media Files on WHS 2011 with Devices using OneDrive?

Andrew Fratkin

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Sharing Media Files on WHS 2011 with Devices using OneDrive

I was searching the internet for information on this subject when came across the article in the link below. It's 2 1/2 years old and talks about installing SkyDrive on WHS 2011 but it should work with OneDrive also. Does anyone have any first hand experience setting up OneDrive this way on WHS and can comment on how well it works?

Or can anyone comment on another way to share media on WHS across all their devices using OneDrive?

How To Install Microsoft SkyDrive on Windows Home Server 2011 - We Got Served

Last edited:

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: Sharing Media Files on WHS 2011 on Devices using OneDrive

I was searching the internet for information on this subject when came across the article in the link below. It's 2 1/2 years old and talks about installing SkyDrive on WHS 2011 but it should work with OneDrive also. Does anyone have any first hand experience setting up OneDrive this way on WHS and can comment on how well it works?

Or can anyone comment on another way to share media on WHS across all their devices using OneDrive?

How To Install Microsoft SkyDrive on Windows Home Server 2011 - We Got Served

It has been a couple years since I last ran WHS 2011 (currently run Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2). I did this for a bit but found it to be very clumsy and inclined at times to shut itself down, with it then being necessary to restart the service. I honestly only found it useful for getting files from the remote machine to the server without a direct connection but, again, it was never very smooth. More than once I also had the system get confused and create multiple versions of files with the name of the computer appended to the end and file dates shifting to the sync dates. The personal versions of Skydrive/OneDrive just weren't meant to run on a server.

As for accessing media files, WHS 2011, WSE 2012, and WSE 2012 R2 all offer web enabled media servers that just need to be turned on in settings. All work pretty well. If I was going to go a different route, I would suggest getting a Plex account for remote access. The paid version has full cloud capabilities....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar