My Venue 8 will not charge the battery anymore, why?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

My Venue 8 Will Not Charge the Battery any more.

It stopped charging, no charging LED lit. It is 3 weeks out of warranty (naturally !!).
I called Dell, after 1/2 hour listening to Muzak, I got someone I could barely
understand.

Bottom line, the repair cost would be $269 !! Are they kidding, I think they just want
you to go away and buy another one.

Anyway, has anyone got any ideas what I can do to try and fix this thing, or should
I just use it for target practice.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: My Venue 8 Will Not Charge the Battery any more.

If the charging light doesn't light up, then you probably have a broken connection on the USB port on the board. That USB connector is stressed every time you plug it in or unplug it, and if it ever fell while it was charging or anything, the plugged in USB cord can exert a lot of torque on the solder connections.I'd bet your problem is there, rather than the battery.

While the cost is high, Dell would probably replace the entire logic board. If you know anyone that is handy with a soldering iron, you could have them try to re-solder the USB connector at the board, at least examine the USB socket.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I suspect jmshub is correct on it being the USB connector on the device. Dell chose an odd micro usb slot that can almost take the charging cable either way. This was likely damaged due to an incorrect insertion of the cable. I had the same thing happen to me, but mine was under warranty. I would push back on them as this is a common complaint on this device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss