What is the difference between the 32bit vs 64bit Office?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

32bit vs 64bit Office

I work with massive amounts of data in excel and it crashes on me quite frequently and runs slow on quite often. It is not a hardware issue I am running Windows 7 64bit with an intel i7 2.8 GHZ with 16GB RAM. I have also disabled all but 2 of the add-ins and I'm pretty certain they are not the issue.

I have been pondering whether to switch to the 64bit version of Office as I have a feeling it would stop many of the crashes due to the massive amounts of data I work with, but I am concerned about compatibility and will I lose/gain anything by switching?

Bryce B

Mario Flamenco

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: 32bit vs 64bit Office

The 64 Bit version would probably work better for you since the 32 bit one is limited to around 2 Gb of ram usage if I'm not mistaken, but you also must have a 64 bit version of the OS, so unless you have it you can't switch to it.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: 32bit vs 64bit Office

You might want to investigate switching to 64bit Office a bit more. Reason being... I distinctly remember reading MS warnings that 64bit Office might have some missing functionality (or different functionality) when I was installing 64bit Access 2010 on a 64bit Windows Server box.

EDIT: Ah, here, read over this page in detail before you switch: 64-bit editions of Office 2013

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos