When is the next flagship Windows Phone coming?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Windows Central Question

What and when is the next flagship Windows Phone coming

just read that article about Microsoft not having a "flagship" phone coming anytime soon and nothing announced in the works. Is there anything coming?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: What and when is the next flagship Windows Phone coming

Next big release of new phone announcements is in the Spring during and after the tech trade shows and conventions. Then another wave in the fall... Twice a year and we are now in between major release times.

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Next big release of new phone announcements is in the Spring during and after the tech trade shows and conventions. Then another wave in the fall... Twice a year and we are now in between major release times.

But there were no flagships announced this fall though. The "affordable flagship" (830) really doesn't count.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

That 830 looks nice enough, but yeah... Not fully Flagship material. I can't see Oliver "Hazard" Perry carrying one.

Ties in with the OP saying a recent article saying no Windows Phone Flagship coming soon.

Glad I got a 1520.3 this past August. Even at a year since release it is still a beast and I'm not left wanting right now.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

That 830 looks nice enough, but yeah... Not fully Flagship material. I can't see Oliver "Hazard" Perry carrying one.

Ties in with the OP saying a recent article saying no Windows Phone Flagship coming soon.

Glad I got a 1520.3 this past August. Even at a year since release it is still a beast and I'm not left wanting right now.
I'm keeping my 920 for now. I'll wait until a true flagship is available that isn't 6". I don't have tiny hands (my glove size is 8--I used to work in at a chemical company, and that was the size I wore in latex/nitrile gloves). I don't wear skinny jeans either; I wear regular fit jeans. However, the 1520 is too big for me.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Not only does the size keep users from buying 1520, but they also want just released freshness. That second factor is hard to overcome AND hard to argue against.

You've heard of dog years? In the tech world; with the release cycles coming so quickly, every one year is more like 2 or 3 years in the consumers' mindset. So the 1520 sounds really old and decrepit.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Not only does the size keep users from buying 1520, but they also want just released freshness. That second factor is hard to overcome AND hard to argue against.

You've heard of dog years? In the tech world; with the release cycles coming so quickly, every one year is more like 2 or 3 years in the consumers' mindset. So the 1520 sounds really old and decrepit.

saulgould13

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site

As many threads have already surfaced regarding this question over and over, and many people can debate the argument of the 1520 niche, I don't see anything better at the moment, ill leave the future for the crystal ball crowd.

Jastow

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site

I thought the Icon was a flagship phone. It has all the high-end specs, but no way I'm going to vrzn to get it. Guess in that regard, 1520 is it.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site

does that mean companies must release a flagship every now and then?
i mean, 930 is considered as a flagship and was released in anounced in april and released in july 2014. next one is coming in 2015 in same period i.e. march-april. it is really stupid to expect another flagship to be here in 6 months time.
if every next month, a flagship is released, it won't be a flagship at all.
1520 still can be called flagship because, it has the specs, which still matches with the other competitors except octa-core.

idokamaroq

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site

That's my view on it, too. The Icon/930 was their flagship this year. If you don't like it for whatever reason (lack of glance or SD or whatever), then you just don't like this year's flagship. It still exists, though. Plus, Microsoft's deal for this fall was to work with HTC and get the One M8 for Windows out. Sure, it's year-old hardware, but it isn't lacking anything, especially in the WP environment. (...Maybe excluding the camera. So then get a Lumia.)

The one argument against it that I will agree on is in regards to its availability in the US. The 930 doesn't get LTE in the US and switching to Verizon isn't an option for some people (like me. I settled for the 830... Not a flagship, but I ended up deciding I didn't like the M8 and it's enough to tide me over until another flagship is available on my carrier.)

But this is like, come May, "Why hasn't Apple released a new iPhone yet?"

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey... I'm not knocking 930/Icon or 1520 or HTC One M8 (W) as flagships... I have a 1520 and consider it both flagish and shippy.

I'm just trying to outline what users say around all the forums. Look at the pace of tech. It's accelerating and people's expectations are speeding up right along with that. There are major release cycles each Spring and Autumn. Android OEMs manage to fill both out very heavily and that plays into people's perceptions.

All WP got was a Budget Flagship 830 and some more trickles of One M8 as carrier exclusives this past Autumn Release time. That's what people are looking at and commenting on.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

It's p!ss poor planning on Microsoft's part to go this long without any flagship releases on any of the major carriers in the US. They should have released the McLaren and the rumored 1525 (if real). It's pathetic really. Maybe their plan is to hope that HTC holds down the fort for them? Who knows...but with the Icon being discontinued by Verizon, the 930 not coming to AT&T, and nothing for TMO or Sprint, they really honestly expect people to wait until mid 2015 for when Windows 10 launches? That's nuts. They need something and they need something fast. Pull the McLaren out of retirement.

idokamaroq

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site

Maybe they cancelled McLaren and expected HTC to hold down the fort for a bit because they decided to wait until W10 was more complete so that the phone could be optimized for it, plus add a little more hype for it. I'm not sure they'd be able to finish development on it and then develop a whole new flagship by the launch of W10.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
We could argue for many threads, and look we have... about what constitutes a flagship phone. People have valid reasons for both liking and disliking the current flagships on offer. Both are valid. Personal preference is simply that.

My guess is that MS is aiming for a big announcement with W10. Whether it will stack up to the competition in a way that people like is yet to be seen. We'll just have to wait and see. MS likes to surprise people. Doesn't always work, but they like to do it. :p

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
So... the 1520 is too big, but the iPhone 6 + isn't??? It's a laughable notion.

The point of the 1520 being too big is crap. Most people who quote this have never seen one in the flesh, or have used it for an hour or two.

The 1520 IS the flagship WP device (along with it's smaller cousin, the 930). I suspect even if new WP devices come out next year. the 1520 will be hard to beat. As of yet, it's power has yet to be tested. Badly ported games are not a true measure of the beast's power!!!

Even the latest Android flagships are very slight bumps in power compared to the 1520.. Don't let the IT media convince you otherwise.

The IT media's function is to sell specific companies devices. That's what they are paid to do, their 'raison d'etre'....

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site

I don't think the problem has ever been the hardware, it's been Microsoft's bizarre way of getting them to market.

For example, iPhone people get a new flagship every year around the same time. With MS you get their 2012 flagship the 920, a year and a half later it's replacement 930 arrives but with carrier exclusivity. So for anyone on AT&T for example is left hanging for at least 2.5 years in-between a flagship device. Thats just crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro