How do I stop receiving scam phone calls?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I have been receiving scam phone calls

caller says they are hired by Microsoft and I have a virus on my computer
they have even stated if I did not let them into my computer they would shut
down my internet and computer

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: I have been receiving scam phone calls

Your operating system vendor will NEVER call you like this. Nor will they send you a POP UP Window warning of infection...

Once these people get your credit or debit card info, the sky is the limit on how much and how often they will charge your card. And there is always a conversation about payment and payment methods. If you grant remote access to your computer they will steal as much data as they can before infecting your system and shutting it down. In addition to financial theft you risk account takeover at any place you do business with that has information stored on your system. You are also at risk of identity theft and having new lines of credit opened in your name. Often during the course of calls or chat window sessions the "tech" is pumping you for telling details to help steal your data and identity.

How do I know?

I used to work at a call center in the fraud reporting group for a major bank. Victims of these scams would contact us daily.

If anyone ever contacts you as representing your OS, your computer manufacturer, your Anti-Virus program or any service connected to your computer or internet and they claim your computer is transmitting errors that need to be fixed... It is ALWAYS a scam, no matter the method of contact.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: I have been receiving scam phone calls

I always run my unknown calls on mobile thru 800NOTES before I block the number.

The IRS has been calling me saying I can payoff my overdue taxes with a debit card...
LOL

I just call the police and report the number and time received.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss