Can I move my hotmail.com purchases to my outlook.com address?

Plazma1

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
So back when outlook.com launched I quickly snagged my email address. This was cool for me, because I could continue to use my embarassing hotmail.com address on my WP7, Surface Pro, Skydrive, Zune Pass and Xbox Live and use both accounts. The best part was we could toggle between linked accounts online so there was no big deal.

Two years later, my Xbox Music Pass is now linked to my Surface Pro login and WP8.1 login. My outlook.com email and onedrive have been siloed with linked accounts gone.

I would ideally love for all my purchased content to move from my hotmail.com address to my current outlook.com address so I can sign in with one email and use everything. A Microsoft rep said I can pretty much get rid of the hotmail.com address by creating a new outlook.com alias. Can anyone confirm this is true? Will I then be able to sign in everywhere with my outlook.com address?

I'm willing to cancel my outlook.com account - wait a few days for it to be purged from the system and then recreate it as an alias. I'm willing - but only if this will work. Can you anyone give me some advice?

Thanks!!

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Just create an alias on outlook.com, it acts like a 'proper' email/login account which you can use like the main account.

You can even use an custom domain (if you have access to the MX entry of the DNS records).

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Does this work with two outlook accounts? I don't want to use my current Microsoft account I have anymore. Can I make my current outlook account into an alias of a new outlook account but continue using my old purchases?

Plazma1

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Does this work with two outlook accounts? I don't want to use my current Microsoft account I have anymore. Can I make my current outlook account into an alias of a new outlook account but continue using my old purchases?
I've been told you have to delete the account first. You can only add aliases for new addresses.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
About a year ago I found myself in the same position you are now. I had a live.com with my music pass (grandfathered) and xbox live/windows phone purchase associated to it. I wanted to migrate all that to my outlook.com account. The ONLY solution is delete/close the outlook.com account.

You must then wait 30 days for the prior outlook.com account to clear or purge from their system. After the 30 day period you can then add that outlook.com address to your Hotmail.com as an alias. Once that is done you can make the new alias a primary.

There is a risk. A risk of someone else getting it if its not unusual. I made a 30 day calendar reminder and was able to do it to the day. I had tried in the interim but kept getting errors (even though I closed it) that the address was already in use. It was 30 days to the day. Hope this helps you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos