Clarification for Lumia Denim Update Procedure

Hamza Waseem

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys! Lumia Denim is finally upon us, and I thought of writing this forum article on what I think is the denim update procedure. My purpose is to clarify any doubts that you might have and my source is the multitude of comments in the relevant articles that WC reported on Lumia Denim rollout, and the Microsoft mobile update tracker page. Please note that I'm a regular WC member, with no special links. This article is just my opinion on how the update will roll. Feel free to comment and criticize.

There are four categories of Lumia phones eligible for the update currently

A. Current Gen Flagship Phones on Developer Preview. (Lumia 1520, 930, ICON and 830) (OS: 8.1.1, Firmware Cyan)

B. Current Gen Flagship Phones not on Developer Preview. (same devices as above)(OS: 8.1, Firmware: Cyan)

C. Last Gen Flagship and Non Flagship phones on Developer Preview (Lumia 520-1320, Lumia 530-Lumia 735)(OS: 8.1.1, Firmware Cyan)

D. Last Gen Flagship and Non Flagship phones on Developer Preview (Lumia 520-1320, Lumia 530-Lumia 735)(OS: 8.1, Firmware Cyan)

Now here is what I think will happen.

1. From these four categories, the Denim Update is a significant update for A and B ONLY, which will get a FIRMWARE revision. I.e. Their firmware version will change. New features like Lumia Camera, Hey Cortana and Fast Charging will be enabled. So.

(a) If your in Category A, you will receive a firmware update.

(b) your in Category B, you will receive an OS and a Firmware update. The OS update will add the Live Folders, Live Music Tile, Battery Saver Tile, OS update Scheduling.

2. If you happen to be in Category C or D, my opinion is that your firmware will NOT change. So Denim for you is simply Windows Phone 8.1.1. Hence

(c) if your in category C, your phone will NOT get ANY update, because your phone already has 8.1.1 through DP. And since your firmware has not changed, you will not get that either. So if your in category C, you already have denim, even if not in name. Enjoy.

(d). If your in category D, you will get the 8.1.1 update, will the features above. No firmware revision, as in the case of C. So you can simply register to DP, to get the update earlier, since your not getting any new firmware.

Once again, please not that this is simply an opinion, compiled from the stated sources. Love Lumia, Live Windows phone.

Aziz Abdurachman

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I think you're right, any phone other than current flagship would not get "Denim Firmware", just receiving the so called "Denim OS". I'm using Lumia 620 non DP, I can confirm that I do not get firmware update, just OS update to 8.10.14219.341, firmware is technically still Cyan 3058.50000.1425.0004.

This would change my mind about keeping me out of DP. I was avoiding to get DP because I want to get firmware update, and stable OS. Now there is no firmware update, and current stable os is still buggy. And next stable os release date could take a long time. So I would register as DP to get earlier of OS update. And maybe would get Windows 10 earlier too. :p

Force2Reckon

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I think you're right, any phone other than current flagship would not get "Denim Firmware", just receiving the so called "Denim OS". I'm using Lumia 620 non DP, I can confirm that I do not get firmware update, just OS update to 8.10.14219.341, firmware is technically still Cyan 3058.50000.1425.0004.

This would change my mind about keeping me out of DP. I was avoiding to get DP because I want to get firmware update, and stable OS. Now there is no firmware update, and current stable os is still buggy. And next stable os release date could take a long time. So I would register as DP to get earlier of OS update. And maybe would get Windows 10 earlier too. :p

no wonder im not seeing any published-publicized articles about denim's available features

so my 620 will only get a little camera stability tweaking(?)

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Lumia Denim is the latest WP 8.1.1 build. So if you are on PfD, you already have Denim (see Extras+Infos "bug", which is not a bug, but on purpose). If you have a 830, 930, 1520 or Icon, you will get camera enhancements

Force2Reckon

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys! Lumia Denim is finally upon us, and I thought of writing this forum article on what I think is the denim update procedure. My purpose is to clarify any doubts that you might have and my source is the multitude of comments in the relevant articles that WC reported on Lumia Denim rollout, and the Microsoft mobile update tracker page. Please note that I'm a regular WC member, with no special links. This article is just my opinion on how the update will roll. Feel free to comment and criticize.

There are four categories of Lumia phones eligible for the update currently

A. Current Gen Flagship Phones on Developer Preview. (Lumia 1520, 930, ICON and 830) (OS: 8.1.1, Firmware Cyan)

B. Current Gen Flagship Phones not on Developer Preview. (same devices as above)(OS: 8.1, Firmware: Cyan)

C. Last Gen Flagship and Non Flagship phones on Developer Preview (Lumia 520-1320, Lumia 530-Lumia 735)(OS: 8.1.1, Firmware Cyan)

D. Last Gen Flagship and Non Flagship phones on Developer Preview (Lumia 520-1320, Lumia 530-Lumia 735)(OS: 8.1, Firmware Cyan)

Now here is what I think will happen.

1. From these four categories, the Denim Update is a significant update for A and B ONLY, which will get a FIRMWARE revision. I.e. Their firmware version will change. New features like Lumia Camera, Hey Cortana and Fast Charging will be enabled. So.

(a) If your in Category A, you will receive a firmware update.

(b) your in Category B, you will receive an OS and a Firmware update. The OS update will add the Live Folders, Live Music Tile, Battery Saver Tile, OS update Scheduling.

2. If you happen to be in Category C or D, my opinion is that your firmware will NOT change. So Denim for you is simply Windows Phone 8.1.1. Hence

(c) if your in category C, your phone will NOT get ANY update, because your phone already has 8.1.1 through DP. And since your firmware has not changed, you will not get that either. So if your in category C, you already have denim, even if not in name. Enjoy.

(d). If your in category D, you will get the 8.1.1 update, will the features above. No firmware revision, as in the case of C. So you can simply register to DP, to get the update earlier, since your not getting any new firmware.

Once again, please not that this is simply an opinion, compiled from the stated sources. Love Lumia, Live Windows phone.

category C and D are just the same(?)

Aziz Abdurachman

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
no wonder im not seeing any published-publicized articles about denim's available features

so my 620 will only get a little camera stability tweaking(?)
I don't think so, it still yellow-ish and slow. No camera app (Lumia Camera or WP Camera) has been updated in Denim OS update. And maybe Lumia Camera 4 (other than on current flagship device) won't be updated again, only Lumia Camera 5 would continue to develop. And still no stability improvement in camera, even native OS camera is (i think) slower than before, more slower if I compare it when in Black FW / WP8.0 GDR3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium