I'm gonna upgrade tomorrow! Help me guys!

infiniti_12

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi Windows Central peeps!

So tomorrow I'm gonna upgrade from Lumia 520 to a midrange device. (Yeah. Cause I'm just a student though. Need a front cam haha) So these are my choices: (not all of them are WP but I'll explain! :D)
iPhone 4s 8GB
LG G3 S/Beat (don't like it much)
Lumia 730/735

So. Yup. I have an iOS and Android devices on my choices. Why? Because there's something that I've always wanted to have in WP but there's already on the other 2 OS's. BUT I love Nokia than ANY OTHER BRANDS. It's just that Nokia is different. NEVER USED a phone that isn't Nokia. But (yea lots of but) the Apps. Hmmm. This is my question to WP Apps though. Because there seems to be a big difference between 1GB and 512MB devices. Are there still plenty of Apps that still requires 1GB?

My last question. Which phone do you think deserves to be called an "Upgrade" from Lumia 520? That's only my budget though. You can suggest phones too! I would love to hear lots from you guys! :)) Thank youuuu :D

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My mom has an iPhone 4s and it's a solid smartphone. the silicon inside is kinda old, but it still works solidly.

The app ram gap isn't particularly huge, (only a couple apps on my 920 are 1GB only) but it does include the more famous high end games and some other apps like Lumia beamer.

Almost any phone would be an upgrade to the 520. Well, except for the 530, but that's about it. the 620, 720 have the same guts, but different sized screens, batteries etc. (minor upgrades compared to what's out there now)

the 820, 920 are also upgrades, but really, as I said, the 520 is the cheapest phone of the last generation.

You won't be disappointed with the 73x, unless size is a big concern, but its on par with current phones.

Generation wise, I hold the 630/5/6/8 as the upgrade to the 520, but it lacks the FFC you want.

I suppose it's worth looking at HTC's midrange Android offerings. (the desire line IIRC)

infiniti_12

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
My mom has an iPhone 4s and it's a solid smartphone. the silicon inside is kinda old, but it still works solidly.

The app ram gap isn't particularly huge, (only a couple apps on my 920 are 1GB only) but it does include the more famous high end games and some other apps like Lumia beamer.

Almost any phone would be an upgrade to the 520. Well, except for the 530, but that's about it. the 620, 720 have the same guts, but different sized screens, batteries etc. (minor upgrades compared to what's out there now)

the 820, 920 are also upgrades, but really, as I said, the 520 is the cheapest phone of the last generation.

You won't be disappointed with the 73x, unless size is a big concern, but its on par with current phones.

Generation wise, I hold the 630/5/6/8 as the upgrade to the 520, but it lacks the FFC you want.

I suppose it's worth looking at HTC's midrange Android offerings. (the desire line IIRC)

My sister have the 630. She seems fine with it. And unfortunately, there's no HTC phones in our country. Sucks big time. My real choices are Lumia 735 and iPhone 4s. They almost have the same price. And I'm really confused. Been searching everywhere in the internet for hours lol. The phone that I'm gonna buy will be used until my college life so I wanted a phone that is futureproof. With iPhone 4s, I get no expandable storage. I think it would be hard to have an iPhone which is 8GB. Where all your media and everything will be stored. But there's Lumia 735. LTE, expandable storage, removable battery. You know that feeling that I must buy the one which is a bang for the buck? Geez. Phones nowadays.

ByeVanno

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
My sister have the 630. She seems fine with it. And unfortunately, there's no HTC phones in our country. Sucks big time. My real choices are Lumia 735 and iPhone 4s. They almost have the same price. And I'm really confused. Been searching everywhere in the internet for hours lol. The phone that I'm gonna buy will be used until my college life so I wanted a phone that is futureproof. With iPhone 4s, I get no expandable storage. I think it would be hard to have an iPhone which is 8GB. Where all your media and everything will be stored. But there's Lumia 735. LTE, expandable storage, removable battery. You know that feeling that I must buy the one which is a bang for the buck? Geez. Phones nowadays.
Personally if you're going to keep the phone for a long time that rules the 4s out already my cousin has the 4s and after ios 8.1 or 8 lol not sure what it is but after that update she says her phone has started to become slower and a little laggy so I can only assume its towards the end of its life. The 735 on the other hand was just released so you can guarantee 2 years of major support and another year of the phone getting some new features because I believe the support life is 3 years for windows phones

shishu1

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I would recommend the Lumia 730/735. It has 1 gb of ram, so you can install any app on the store. A quad core processor so no delays. And then of course the expandable memory BC lets face it. 8gb is just too less. Plus you get 316 ppi HD display and a five megapixel ffc.

infiniti_12

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Personally if you're going to keep the phone for a long time that rules the 4s out already my cousin has the 4s and after ios 8.1 or 8 lol not sure what it is but after that update she says her phone has started to become slower and a little laggy so I can only assume its towards the end of its life. The 735 on the other hand was just released so you can guarantee 2 years of major support and another year of the phone getting some new features because I believe the support life is 3 years for windows phones

That's my point with a 4s. I have classmates who have 4s but it seems like they're always charging lol. Maybe the reason I wanted to have 4s is that I wanted to experience an iOS device. But something's telling me, "not this time". Maybe I'll just wait for the iPhone 8 lol. My parents don't like Nokia anymore so that's why. But oh hey. Hope I'll get 735 instead of 730. :/

I would recommend the Lumia 730/735. It has 1 gb of ram, so you can install any app on the store. A quad core processor so no delays. And then of course the expandable memory BC lets face it. 8gb is just too less. Plus you get 316 ppi HD display and a five megapixel ffc.

I really love the specs of 730! Especially the 735 which is LTE. Hope I could get the LTE variant though!

Last edited by a moderator:

mwindgre

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
I upgraded from the 520 to the 735. The difference is massive. I can read the 735's screen in bright sunlight. It is more responsive. The battery life is much better. People can laugh, but for me the 735 feels like a high end phone.

GroundSpartan

May 31, 2014
Visit site
Hey Infiniti, I see you are in the same position as me, I am trying to upgrade my 520 as well for a phone with a price range around 200-250$ USD,

I recommend these phones (not all of them are windows phones)

1.Nokia Lumia 735
2.Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
3.Huawei Ascend P6

As far as the Huawei Ascend(Im getting this one, most likely) - 2gb ram 1.5ghz processor , expandable storage, beautiful screen and for only $200! while the nokia lumia 735 is $300+. I am at a limited budget so the Huawei is the best deal for me!

infiniti_12

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Hey Infiniti, I see you are in the same position as me, I am trying to upgrade my 520 as well for a phone with a price range around 200-250$ USD,

I recommend these phones (not all of them are windows phones)

1.Nokia Lumia 735
2.Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
3.Huawei Ascend P6

As far as the Huawei Ascend(Im getting this one, most likely) - 2gb ram 1.5ghz processor , expandable storage, beautiful screen and for only $200! while the nokia lumia 735 is $300+. I am at a limited budget so the Huawei is the best deal for me!

It's so unfortunate that Lumia 735 is exclusive in one carrier and may not be sold as prepaid. :/ There's no Huawei in our place though. What other phones can you suggest? These are the only brands that are available in our place - Nokia, Samsung, Apple, Asus, LG, and Sony, that's it others are local brands already. Number one in my list in getting a phone is the software support + app support. And when those are met, I'm happy with it already.

GroundSpartan

May 31, 2014
Visit site
Honestly I believe if you strongly looking at software and app support, Android would be that best, as there are a lot more open sourcing with andriod and variable methods to upload OS updates to your phone without dependency towards the cellular carrier or the phone model. As far as Windows phone, although its been confirmed that any phone with Windows Phone 8.1 will get Windows Phone 10, The 520 will probably be slower with the new update. I feel as if that is the case you might as well wait for new Microsoft/windows phone 10 built models coming next year. So for now I would say the Moto G as it comes with the lastest (Andriod 5.0 Lollipop), The Samsung Galaxy S4 mini, and Huawei Ascend P6 are still rumored to get 5.0 soon. *Note that there is still a high chance that 5.0 lollipop may be coming to those devices as lollipop came out just a month ago. As far as temporary phones until the next windows phone 10 models come out, I think that the Samsung Galaxy S4 mini or the Huawei Ascend P6 will do. Although you may not get the most up-to-date to OS, all the android apps will still work! C:

infiniti_12

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Honestly I believe if you strongly looking at software and app support, Android would be that best, as there are a lot more open sourcing with andriod and variable methods to upload OS updates to your phone without dependency towards the cellular carrier or the phone model. As far as Windows phone, although its been confirmed that any phone with Windows Phone 8.1 will get Windows Phone 10, The 520 will probably be slower with the new update. I feel as if that is the case you might as well wait for new Microsoft/windows phone 10 built models coming next year. So for now I would say the Moto G as it comes with the lastest (Andriod 5.0 Lollipop), The Samsung Galaxy S4 mini, and Huawei Ascend P6 are still rumored to get 5.0 soon. *Note that there is still a high chance that 5.0 lollipop may be coming to those devices as lollipop came out just a month ago. As far as temporary phones until the next windows phone 10 models come out, I think that the Samsung Galaxy S4 mini or the Huawei Ascend P6 will do. Although you may not get the most up-to-date to OS, all the android apps will still work! C:

S4 mini is not available in our place though. Sucks right? There's lots of midrange devices that are still not available in our place. But anyways, how about you? Will you get an Android phone? Cause my plan is to buy LG G3 Beat then I'm gonna keep my Lumia 520 and wait for the Windows Phone 10 to arrive then gonna test it and if I'm convinced maybe I'll go back to WP. I'm really not into flagship devices though. It's jus overpriced. HAHA

The reason I wanted to have Android phone again is just the feeling is different. Apps are really supported by the developers. LG G3 Beat was just announced few months ago so I think it will still get Lollipop. Hate this feeling of getting a smartphone and choosing the best for your needs but your wants are disturbing you at the same time.

GroundSpartan

May 31, 2014
Visit site
I am heading toward android my friend! I was thinking the same exact method that you mentioned. I will keep my 520 to try Windows Phone 10 when it comes out C:! I am now looking into the LG Google Nexus 4(has lollipop 5.0), Samsung Galaxy S4 mini, or huawei ascend P6. Now that you mention the LG G3 Beat, I will have to look it up. You are right! Wants and Needs are hard to balance in smartphone selections >_<

infiniti_12

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
I am heading toward android my friend! I was thinking the same exact method that you mentioned. I will keep my 520 to try Windows Phone 10 when it comes out C:! I am now looking into the LG Google Nexus 4(has lollipop 5.0), Samsung Galaxy S4 mini, or huawei ascend P6. Now that you mention the LG G3 Beat, I will have to look it up. You are right! Wants and Needs are hard to balance in smartphone selections >_<

Somer reviewers said that LG G3 Beat or G3 Vigor in ATT is a bad midrange phone but the owners of the phone just love it. I wanna give Android chance again 'cause I had a bad experience with Jelly Bean on my Samsung device (and the reason why I won't be getting another Samsung device). I would suggest Grand Prime also, that's cheaper than G3 Beat. Productivity is something that I wanted from WP but, yup. It's kinda disappointing after a year.

Megsh

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Go for a Lumia 730-35, as it has probably the best front and back camera in its category also wp's os doesn't require much hardware so even snapdragon 400 and 1gb ram will be far more superior than phones having same processor.....

But if you want to opt for an Android phone than instead go for Moto g 2nd gen, now its even updated to lollipop and saying abt iPhone 4s don't buy it as its going be discontinued soon.....

infiniti_12

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
What about the Moto G? It's a great phone for a great price. What's your budget? Can you afford a Nexus 5?

Motorola phones are not available in our country. Though some are imports but they're priced higher than it should be. Nexus 5 is not available in our place 'cause we're in the province. And Nexus 5 is expensive here 'cause of tax. -.- My budget is about About $320 - $400.

infiniti_12

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Go for a Lumia 730-35, as it has probably the best front and back camera in its category also wp's os doesn't require much hardware so even snapdragon 400 and 1gb ram will be far more superior than phones having same processor.....

But if you want to opt for an Android phone than instead go for Moto g 2nd gen, now its even updated to lollipop and saying abt iPhone 4s don't buy it as its going be discontinued soon.....

I wanted to stay with WP but my problem is the Apps. On the first day I got my Lumia 520, all apps are fine. But after a year, it seems that nothing has improved that much. One app I really don't like is the FB Messenger. I use it most of the time because I have to connect with my classmates. It's really hard to switch between apps while you're doing something. The "resuming..." Screen goes on the it will crash. I wonder why there are no chat heads. I wanna be productive with a phone cause I don't like bringing my laptop everytime in school. What else could you suggest? Maybe I haven't digged WP too much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss