01-04-2015 04:38 AM
60 123
tools
    Backwards compatibility is the only reason windows gets viruses in the first place. Since phones use ARM processors instead of x86/x64 processors that backwards compatibility is removed right off the bat. Only the new apps have cross platform support. I don't think you could create a metro based virus and if this is true, then the phone will never get a virus.
    This isn't completely accurate, because it's not about backwards compatibility. New programs are still made for x86.

A virus is really called a virus because it's able to spread from where it started and adversely affect other things on your computer.

In computers, we're really dealing with coding languages. All programs, including viruses, are just sets of instructions. It's something communicating with the computer and telling it to do things.

So you can think of a virus like a manipulative spy or con-man. Something that is really good at communicating and getting the computer to do things that will end up hurting itself.

What happens in traditional Windows is that the spy has access to the President. The spy (virus) can use his ability to manipulate language to convince the President to give him access to the country's most secure systems. The spy then uses that information to gain power for itself and lock out the President. The spy then replicates itself by having lots of spy babies and sends them off to do the same thing.

In the Modern side of Windows, the spy does not have access to the President. Instead, the spy is limited to his/her own house. Sure, they have a house in the country, but they don't have any power. They do have some avenues for communication under special government monitored phone lines (APIs). But that communication is limited. There are only certain things that the spy is allowed to ask for. And the spy is limited in what it's allowed to "do" to other things (like files and pictures). And this permission is only given after a review by national security (MS) of what it is asking and what it wants to do. And last, but not least, in the Modern Windows the spy can simply be eliminated if it is causing problems. It can't replicate itself and hide in the shadows. It's stuck in a house with a known address where a drone will come in and blow it away.
    12-29-2014 02:18 PM
    metro apps are platform independent. They run in a virtual machine just like java. They are not specifically targeting x86, which is why they can run on ARM as well. However its the classic win32 platform where the virus attacks are made. This has been around since windows 3.1. It was an addon back then and was included in win95.

This isn't completely accurate, because it's not about backwards compatibility. New programs are still made for x86.

A virus is really called a virus because it's able to spread from where it started and adversely affect other things on your computer.

In computers, we're really dealing with coding languages. All programs, including viruses, are just sets of instructions. It's something communicating with the computer and telling it to do things.

So you can think of a virus like a manipulative spy or con-man. Something that is really good at communicating and getting the computer to do things that will end up hurting itself.

What happens in traditional Windows is that the spy has access to the President. The spy (virus) can use his ability to manipulate language to convince the President to give him access to the country's most secure systems. The spy then uses that information to gain power for itself and lock out the President. The spy then replicates itself by having lots of spy babies and sends them off to do the same thing.

In the Modern side of Windows, the spy does not have access to the President. Instead, the spy is limited to his/her own house. Sure, they have a house in the country, but they don't have any power. They do have some avenues for communication under special government monitored phone lines (APIs). But that communication is limited. There are only certain things that the spy is allowed to ask for. And the spy is limited in what it's allowed to "do" to other things (like files and pictures). And this permission is only given after a review by national security (MS) of what it is asking and what it wants to do. And last, but not least, in the Modern Windows the spy can simply be eliminated if it is causing problems. It can't replicate itself and hide in the shadows. It's stuck in a house with a known address where a drone will come in and blow it away.
    12-29-2014 04:21 PM
    I hope so. I got a 1520 and still waiting for Denim. I wish MS be more clear about there updates!
    That's off topic, He was talking about viruses on Windows 10/Windows Phone 10
    12-29-2014 08:34 PM
    Hi, I am just curious since Microsoft announced that there will only be one operating system, Windows 10, across all devises, whether Windows viruses will now work on Windows phones when Windows 10 is released?
    It is NOT the same OS, they are built on same core but will still be different, WP10 will not have native Desktop applications support.
    Last edited by techiez; 12-30-2014 at 03:04 AM.
    WanderingTraveler likes this.
    12-30-2014 02:18 AM
    It is NOT the same OS, they are built on same core but will still be different, WP10 will not have native applications support.
    Native desktop application support, to be accurate.
    techiez likes this.
    12-30-2014 02:50 AM
    Native desktop application support, to be accurate.
    yes, I edited now :)
    12-30-2014 03:04 AM
    Time to Develop 'Universal' Viruses :P
    Theayalalalalon likes this.
    12-30-2014 03:17 AM
    I believe the way metro apps (universal apps are metro apps) work prevents them from taking over.

Time to Develop 'Universal' Viruses :P
    12-30-2014 11:10 AM
    No way. The only software that will run on both mobile and desktop are the modern/RT apps and libraries. They are sandboxed and cannot contain viruses. Your phone won't run the classic Win32 programs and libraries(the ones with the viruses).
    01-03-2015 06:59 AM
    No way. The only software that will run on both mobile and desktop are the modern/RT apps and libraries. They are sandboxed and cannot contain viruses. Your phone won't run the classic Win32 programs and libraries(the ones with the viruses).
    I know... just trolling :P
    01-04-2015 04:38 AM
60 123