What is the correct way to hook up external monitor through surface pro 3 dock?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hey there, I'm simply trying to extend my desktop to an external monitor via the Surface Pro 3 dock mini DisplayPort. Here is what i've tried, and the result thus far:

mini DisplayPort-to-HDMI cable: works perfect when plugged directly into the surface pro 3. Does not show any image at all when plugged into the surface pro 3 docking station.

mini DisplayPort-to-HDMI active adapter to HDMI cable: works when plugged into the surface pro 3 mDP directly, and also works when plugged into the mDP on the back of the dock, but the external monitor goes black every couple of seconds.

Are there any specific specs that I need to purchase when buying an HDMI cable to make this work? Same for the active adapter to go from mDP to HDMI? My monitor is an Acer K272HUL, it has HDMI, DisplayPort, and DVI-D as my options for hookup. I'm willing to buy whatever, just so long as it works.

MoshMast

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
In theory your connections look good but maybe your mDP to HDMI cable is the issue? Do you have the ability to try a different one? I don't know of any setting related to the docking station which would make the DP output function differently so i'd guess it may be the cable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss