Is there a better navigation app then Here Drive+?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Problems with Here Drive+

I'm having problems with Here Drive. I don't know if it's because I'm using it on my Icon with the Developers Preview or if Here Drive is just buggy.

Here Drive will often just stop working as if the app just goes on pause. I'll be driving along and then the app just acts as if I've stopped driving and stops giving me directions. One plenty of occasions it will tell me to make a turn when I know that I'm suppose to drive straight for miles.

Here Drive just seems very unreliable. I thought maybe if I downloaded maps to my phone it would help, but no luck. Am I doing something wrong or should I use another navigation app? Anyone recommend a better navigation app?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Problems with Here Drive+

I have HERE+ on my 930 and also have P4D. and do not have above problem at all. So it is not Icon + Developers Preview related.
Did you uninstall and install it again?

Maybe try Waze.

If this gives the same problem it me be related to your GPS. Because it sounds like HERE got "lost".

Mike Waechter

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

I'm having problems with Here Drive. I don't know if it's because I'm using it on my Icon with the Developers Preview or if Here Drive is just buggy.

Here Drive will often just stop working as if the app just goes on pause. I'll be driving along and then the app just acts as if I've stopped driving and stops giving me directions. One plenty of occasions it will tell me to make a turn when I know that I'm suppose to drive straight for miles.

Here Drive just seems very unreliable. I thought maybe if I downloaded maps to my phone it would help, but no luck. Am I doing something wrong or should I use another navigation app? Anyone recommend a better navigation app?

Same issue here. a reboot resolved the issue but airplane mode toggle might work as well.

Happens on my wife's 920 and my 1520 often.

Fabicz

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site

I'm getting issues on Lumia 930 / P4D / Cyan for last 2 weeks.

When I run the application everything goes fine, once I lock the screen (or switch to other app) to let the navigation run in background then is still gives the voice directions. But once I unlock the phone (or return to app) it crashes or closes.

Reinstalling all HERE apps and restarting phone didn't helped.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

Do you have the maps downloaded? Or are you relying on a data connection to access the maps as you go? If you're relying on a data connection, then it can hang at times when you're trying to receive data and switch towers, or a tower goes out of range and it's trying to get a fix on the next tower.

If you don't have the maps downloaded to your phone, try downloading them and see if it resolves the issue. It may not be the problem, but worth a shot if you don't have them downloaded. It may also be a faulty GPS sensor.

Mike Waechter

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

Do you have the maps downloaded? Or are you relying on a data connection to access the maps as you go? If you're relying on a data connection, then it can hang at times when you're trying to receive data and switch towers, or a tower goes out of range and it's trying to get a fix on the next tower.

If you don't have the maps downloaded to your phone, try downloading them and see if it resolves the issue. It may not be the problem, but worth a shot if you don't have them downloaded. It may also be a faulty GPS sensor.

Downloaded on all my Lumia phones. They each have had issues at one point in time. In fact, im going to start recording all the crap that goes wrong with these phones in hopes Microsoft fixes these bugs.

MSWPLUMIA2016

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site

I have had a L920 for over 2 years, currently on Cyan (no P4D). Here Drive Beta used to be fine on this phone, never had an issue, even when traveling to other countries. I always downloaded the maps and Here Drive Beta worked like a charm. With the multiple recent changes - Cyan, Nokia sale, Here Drive Beta changing to Here Drive+, etc. - my Here Drive+ has started locking up and closing, often in the middle of giving me directions. Restarting the app seems to work again for a few minutes sometimes (e.g. when I'm actually using it for navigation). Here Maps seems to be fine and I have not experienced issues with Waze either. So I don't think it's the GPS sensor or any other phone hardware issue. I've restarted the phone as well as uninstalled/reinstalled the app without much improvement. May be the transition from Nokia to Microsoft broke some collaboration somewhere. Any thoughts? Any other good off-line navigation apps out there?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720