Is it normal for A-GPS to fall back to normal GPS when there is no internet connection?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

GPS and the Lumia 630

Hi,
I have a Lumia 630 with A-GPS.
I am unsure if this A-GPS falls back to a 'normal' GPS when there is no internet connection.
Can somebody clarify this.
And also i was unable to find an app that shows the GPS status (including the signal strenght of the individual satellites in use). Can somebody point me in the right direction for an app?
Butch

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: GPS and the Lumia 630

I'll confirm what Harrie-S has stated. I have the Lumia 635, which has identical GPS features.

I routinely have my data connection off and will turn on WiFi only when I reach a place I want to use it. I use Here Drive+ to do travelling, and do so without a data connection. No problems whatsoever, and the GPS works quite well and is surprisingly accurate.

Butchijos

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site

Thanks Harrie-S

I have read several explanations of A-GPS (including Wikipedia). The problem is that with AGPS it is not garanteed that the fall back is 'normal' GPS. Quote from Wikipedia: "Some A-GPS devices do not have the option of falling back to standalone or autonomous GPS".

That is why i like to know for sure if the AGPS in the Lumia 630 falls back to 'normal' GPS.

And i still like to know if there exits a WP8.1 app that shows detail GPS status.

Butch

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

Dear Butchijos,

Okay switch OFF your Wifi and your cellular data and switch location ON.(you even can get your SIM out and delete ever Wifi Network on your phone)
Open Here maps or Here drive. (You need some down loaded maps) Or the app GPS satellite.
You still will see your location but there is no assist of any network and still you have your location.
This proves that it will fall back to GPS.
(Also one selling point from a Lumia phone was that you can use it with off-line maps so without any data connection you still can navigate,)

Did the app GPD satellite not give the information you wanted.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos