Why does my Windows 8.1 PC randomly power off?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Windows 8.1 PC, randomly powers off.

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this but my windows pc keeps randomly powering off with no warning, it doesn't even show the shut down screen. It happens at random times. I've tried removing and switching round various components but none of them seems to be the cause - as it still does it without them; I've removed my RAM (exchanging the various sticks obviously), I've removed my GPU, I've upped the fan speed for the computer and the temperature at which it starts, still nothing. Does anyone know what this may be, if so please help.

My PC is made up of lots of various parts separately bought, but the main ones are as follows:
Nvidia quadro 600 GPU
4 sticks of RAM - 8gb - (can't remember the make)
an AMD phenom || X2 555 Processor 3.20GHz
64bit windows 8.1
and a Samsung 250gb ssd (relatively new)

The problem started a month or so ago, and mainly occurs when in graphically intensive apps (blender, TF2), but can happen randomly as well. I looked at my log and the main error events that have been happening say "Hypervisor launch failed; Either SVM not present or not enabled in BIOS.", and "The virtualization infrastructure driver (VID) is not running."

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

minipot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Windows 8.1 PC, randomly powers off.

If a computer overheats it will power off. Check the temperatures (find a program which does this)
Thanks for your help, but I've already checked this and upped the fans and made it so that their always running, so I don't think it's that.

Thanks anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos