Can I access Encrypted Zip Files through my Windows phone?

David Ginsburg

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Encrypted Zip Files

My work started sending pdf files as encrypted zip files. I tried to download them on my phone, but they are blocked.

Is there any way to access them through my windows phone?

Thank you in advance.

David

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Encrypted Zip Files

What do you mean you can download them? The email client does not support the attachment and wont download it or?

I have no experience with encrypted zip files and WP, so really don't know the limitations.

David Ginsburg

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site

I am using the stock email app. It's running an outlook.com account.

I download the file, the email program won't let me save it. When I click to open it says there is a problem extracting the file.

I try to use IE and login to outlook.com and open the file, but get a similar warning.

When searching the internet, it makes it sound like I can't download these types of files, but haven't found anything specific that says I can't.

David

aurelian177

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site

Hello,

Try transferring the encrypted zipped .pdf to OneDrive. Afterwards install http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=f9441315-44e5-43f1-8044-cc62a0976d1e and select unpack - onedrive- unpack location and Ta Da. Pdf unpacked. Use MS app FILES to acces the folder and open with your favourite pdf app. Tested for ZipCrypto encryption method. Works very well.

On the other hand you can use the below method:

To download zip files to sd card/phone storage use Maestro (Preview) as e-mail manager. It's a very nice looking app and gives you the possibility to download zip files before opening.

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=b75be3fa-fbf8-4c1a-bd39-1517c1d6aec0

It's in the preview status but works well.

Then use the steps fo unpack that I mentioned in the beginning.

Regards,

Me AV

Last edited:

David Ginsburg

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site

Okay, I found a work around for this.

I can email the file to a gmail account. Access the gmail account through IE and download the file. Then I can use 8zip to open the file.

It's not something I need to do often, maybe once or twice a week, but when I do, I now have a solution. Hopefully the next wp version will allow this natively.

Thanks,

David Ginsburg

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site

I found an even better work around.

I open the outlook.com using the desktop setting in IE. I can also download the file and then access it through 8zip.

I guess getting some sleep lets me clear my head to try new solutions.

David

David Ginsburg

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site

Thank you aurelian177. I will have to also try Maestro. That might be even easier than going through my IE steps.

I couldn't file out how to save the file to one drive on my phone. Maybe with the other email program I can do that.

When I'm on my computer this is all easier. It's only when I have to leave the office, but still get files that I need to review and approve that it was a problem. And since my work just instituted this new form of sending files it was a bit of a scramble to try and find a solution. What a PIA this is when the company changes things, but doesn't let you know until they change the process.

Thanks,

aurelian177

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site

Thank you aurelian177. I will have to also try Maestro. That might be even easier than going through my IE steps.

I couldn't file out how to save the file to one drive on my phone. Maybe with the other email program I can do that.

When I'm on my computer this is all easier. It's only when I have to leave the office, but still get files that I need to review and approve that it was a problem. And since my work just instituted this new form of sending files it was a bit of a scramble to try and find a solution. What a PIA this is when the company changes things, but doesn't let you know until they change the process.

Thanks,

The OneDrive method is fine for me :D because I use sharing method for files (OneDrive 2 OneDrive) It can't be done using default WP e-mail account (maybe a future update will enhance the default e-mail functionality)

The Maestro app method it's far easy and it's more appropriate to your need. :D with the preview status amendment of course (which didn't caused me problems).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans