Are there any apps that will help me while driving after I get my license?

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
getting a driving license, any recommendations?

i'm going to get a driving license next week and I want to know if there's anything you want to tell me + any apps can help me while driving after getting the license :)?
thank you...

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: getting a driving license, any recommendations?

Here+ is good for navigation, but especially for new drivers, keep your eyes and mind off your apps while you're behind the wheel! ;)

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

I just got my license 5 months ago and I agree with jms that the HERE apps, especially Drive, will help you use voice nav so you can pay the most attention you can to the road. Just don't forget to download offline maps, I entered a spotty cell area and HERE directed me to get on the north highway when I'm trying to go west...

Oh, and try to drive defensively on the test, better to take your time and pass rather than try to rush it and have to retake it.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Try the Driving Mode in settings.

If your car doesn't have bluetooth, use a bluetooth headset to get set up. Engage driving mode so messaging, calls and other communications do not distract you while on the road.

kg4icg

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

The sure thing after passing your test and getting your license. The one app that you need and already have is your brain and common sense. No phone app will give you aid or practical experience. Only you and your brain are able to do that. For all practical purposes, forget about your phone and let life be your guide. This is coming from someone who has 31 years of commercial driving experience.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

But here drive+ has a PEEP if reach the limit.

I know. But no app is ever 100% reliable. Speed limits may have changed due to construction areas or whatever. What's the usual update cycle of HERE maps? Once a quarter or so, right? Sorry, you should really rely on your very own senses rather than any product that may fail any time and is dependent on too many factors. ;)
See, if that BEEP makes you notice you exceeded the speed limit without even knowing it, there's something utterly wrong there.

Westarmy

May 24, 2014
Visit site

I must admit, my instructor tells me I treat the car as if I'm racing, I shift from 2 to 4 when speeding up, he says its good skill but how have I learned that... Years of playing Gran Turismo 😂 and yes here maps will alert you of speed camera as well as your speed, one thing I love about my 1520 is the instant gps signal and the offline maps. But avoid racing games tbh

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

I must admit, my instructor tells me I treat the car as if I'm racing, I shift from 2 to 4 when speeding up, he says its good skill but how have I learned that... Years of playing Gran Turismo �� and yes here maps will alert you of speed camera as well as your speed, one thing I love about my 1520 is the instant gps signal and the offline maps. But avoid racing games tbh

I think you're confusing things here.. I know that Navigon is able to warn you about (fixed) speed cameras.. I've never seen HERE Drive do that. oO

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Actually the Warning in Here Drive + is very useful to me. It can be set for 50 MPH and under at one value and another for over 50 MPH speed limit roads.

Here Drive > pull up the bottom shade > Settings > Speed limit > set your values. I use 7mph at 50 or less and 10 at over 50. I find it very accurate.

Also, and especially on large screen devices, the HUD in Here Drive is aces. Once you get familiar with it you have a wealth of information at a quick glance. I use a "clamshell" holder on my dash. It has a weighted base and a sticky pad so it has never moved on me. It is quicker and easier to glance at the Here HUD than to scan my instrument cluster for certain pieces of info. I love the HUD and Nav combination as it keeps my eyes closer to the road and I do less non-traffic scanning for landmarks when I'm in unfamiliar territory.

http://www.semsons.com/meundamowibu.html

semsons-inc_2264_39253056.jpg

Yes it does hold a 1520.

Westarmy

May 24, 2014
Visit site

I think you're confusing things here.. I know that Navigon is able to warn you about (fixed) speed cameras.. I've never seen HERE Drive do that. oO

Sorry Here drive I meant, but it does show speed cameras. But that's in UK... Not sure of elsewhere though

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6