The proper way to pass/give my phone to my wife

zeuxiss

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I will buy a new phone for myself. I will give my old phone to my wife. Is there any good solution other than to reset my phone? Can I just remove my Microsoft account on my old phone and register my wife Microsoft account to the phone?
For information, I use my old phone only for my personal use. I don't think I need to reset my phone as all the pictures taken with my old phone is my family pictures. My wife need those pictures to. So, there is no problem on data because I want to share all of the data with my wife.
For the apps, I don't think I need to uninstall the apps as many of the apps, I just log out and my wife will log in her account. But how about apps that I bought. Is it still valid on the phone even after I change my Microsoft account to my wife Microsoft account??

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You cannot change the main MS account without erasing the phone.

I recommend backing up the photos occasionally, and by default, those photos should be on OneDrive.
You can copy the photos off of the phone, erase the phone, and load them back up using a PC.

zeuxiss

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Oh. I thought that I just simply remove my main account in "Settings->email+accounts".
Yeah,just try it. After long press on my Outlook account, the only option there is "Sync". There is no delete option. Thanks @xandros9. Just asking because I don't want to spend my time downloading apps that my wife also use.
One more thing, If I bought a same model as my old phone, when I register my Outlook account to my new phone (same model as my old phone),can I just backup settings and apps from my old phone from my Outlook account to my new phone?

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
One more thing, If I bought a same model as my old phone, when I register my Outlook account to my new phone (same model as my old phone),can I just backup settings and apps from my old phone from my Outlook account to my new phone?

Yes, backup will copy all your settings, doesn't even have to be the same model. I moved from a 520 to a 820 without issue.

G.

zeuxiss

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Yes, backup will copy all your settings, doesn't even have to be the same model. I moved from a 520 to a 820 without issue.

G.

Thanks, @gMaesterUK. This at least will save my time. I just need to backup both my wife phone and my phone. Then restore my wife backup to my old phone and restore my backup on the new phone.
Thanks a lot for both of you

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
What you also can do is leave your Ms account on your old phone.
And use the same Ms account on your new phone.
So 2 phones with the same MS account.
With this you automatically share your contacts and calender.
And both of you could add an additional account for email/contacts/calender.
In my family I have 4 phones with the same MS account.
And I only have to buy an app 1 time for 4 phones.

zeuxiss

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Yes. That would be a good idea. But better for me to create a new account as my family main account. But what about my wife and my recent account?
We cannot register two outlook account on one phone, isn't it?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You can hand your wife your old phone with your Microsoft Account in place.

Settings > email + accounts > tap Microsoft Account > uncheck what you don't want to sync to that phone from the list (email)

Settings > email + accounts > hold down any Account Name (except Microsoft Account) of yours she will not need and tap "delete" from the pop up menu

Settings > email + accounts > add account > Outlook.com > add your wife's account in and then tap the name. You should be able to set it to sync email, contacts, calendar. Repeat to add in any of her other accounts she needs. Windows Phone is great at integrating multiple accounts on the phone. Yes you can have more than one Outlook for different reasons.

As others have said, you can share all your purchased Apps that way. Both from your history and any either of you downloads or purchases in future. Go to Wallet and set up separate pay methods if needed. Then go to Store and make sure the correct method is default on each phone. Even if paying by different methods on each phone they will attach ownership to the one Microsoft Account you are sharing.

The only caveat is... If at any time your wife chooses to do so, she can tap on Microsoft account and sync your email to her phone. Just remember that, in case it causes any... *ahem*... issues.

Last edited:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Be aware that if you have the same Microsoft Account on two phones, any text messages will be replicated to both devices. You will see all texts your wife sends and recieves, and she will see yours!

Using the same account has the ability to cause more confusion than it is helpful. I normally set up events in my calendar and send an invite to my partner (and vice versa) which means we both have a copy of shared events - conversley, she doesn't need to know when I'm getting my car services, and I don't need to know when she's going to the dentist.

zeuxiss

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Be aware that if you have the same Microsoft Account on two phones, any text messages will be replicated to both devices. You will see all texts your wife sends and recieves, and she will see yours!

As what I know, text is upon my mobile number. So we won't share any text message. But for email,off course. That is why better create a new outlook account and not to use either my wife or my account.
But it is okay. I might not be sharing one Outlook account as I just reset my phone and then restore my wife apps and settings backup to my old phone and leave my sd card with her. And for me, I will restore my apps and settings backup to my new phone and copy all my pictures to my new sd card

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Text messages on Windows Phone work differently to how you'd expect. If you have text message backup enabled, then SMS messages will be replicated to any phone that has that Microsoft Account as the primary phone account.

You can turn off the SMS backup to prevent this, but if either of you have to hard reset or get a new handset, then all of those historical sms messages will disappear.

zeuxiss

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Text messages on Windows Phone work differently to how you'd expect. If you have text message backup enabled, then SMS messages will be replicated to any phone that has that Microsoft Account as the primary phone account.

You can turn off the SMS backup to prevent this, but if either of you have to hard reset or get a new handset, then all of those historical sms messages will disappear.

Oh. Yes, Pete. I haven't figure that out.
Maybe I will just hard reset the old phone, register my wife outlook account and then, restore her apps+settings backup. That will do the trick.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99