How much will the new Holo lens cost?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

How much will the new holo lens cost

I have a birthday coming up and wanna know how much the new hololens will cost???

benrp

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: How much will the new holo lens cost

It has not been announced, although the have said it will be within reach for the public so I would guess probably $400-$500?? It also isn't expected to be out until the "windows 10 timeframe" which probably means after July.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I doubt if it'll even be available for the general public. It sounds like a prototype for research.

I don't think a device they would use just for research would have had such a big showing at the Windows 10 even, be front and center on their website, have it's own consumer-looking site, and have a "sign up for email updates" on it. That all sounds like it will be a real product, and the way they showcased it also gave me that vibe. Announcing that it will be available in the "Windows 10 timeframe" also points to that. If it was a product for research, they wouldn't have mentioned any sort of availability, or maybe not have even showed it at their consumer event.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

It has not been announced, although the have said it will be within reach for the public so I would guess probably $400-$500?? It also isn't expected to be out until the "windows 10 timeframe" which probably means after July.

It'll almost HAVE to be more than that. Google Glass was $1,500 and wasn't as-advanced as this stuff. I mean, they had to create a new processor to handle HoloLens. I would probably make $1,000 my low-end guess.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site

It'll almost HAVE to be more than that. Google Glass was $1,500 and wasn't as-advanced as this stuff. I mean, they had to create a new processor to handle HoloLens. I would probably make $1,000 my low-end guess.
All MS said was that it is "affordable", so at $1000, im not sure if thats what they call affordable. My optimistic guesses are that it could be the same price as a flagship phone perhaps $700 or less.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

All MS said was that it is "affordable", so at $1000, im not sure if thats what they call affordable. My optimistic guesses are that it could be the same price as a flagship phone perhaps $700 or less.

When did they mention it being affordable? Not saying you're wrong, I just don't remember them mentioning anything about a price

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site

Economies of scale plus a consumer version subsidized by an enterprise version could make 999 possible. Also the cpu/gpu is Intel atom cherry trail which is cheap. I would guess 1499 but I think 999 possible

Tone Guerrero

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site

I'm thinking $500 at the least because Microsoft wants the consumers to be happy and they most likely made this for everyone to enjoy, on the other hand it is a computer all on it's own and seeing the laptops on the Microsoft Store go past $1,500 I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same price if not more. But that's still a great price for something like this, I'm sold.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I think anyone who is thinking that this will be priced around $499 is looking for their hopes to be crushed, and then will blame Microsoft for the HoloLens being "too expensive". If it is under $1000, that would be awesome. But it's hard for me to see something like this being under a grand.

John Wright Stanly

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Just like all other new types of products when they come out (this is for almost anything), they are buggy and expensive. There also will be more demand than supply, and raising prices won't help as they rush to make new products. What I'm guessing is the first gen will be somewhere around $1,000-$1,500 dollars. But what you need to remember is what the competitors will do. Apple isn't in the market yet of hologram glasses, and google for now has just played with the idea. By taking this leap, Microsoft is pushing the limits for this new type of product. By doing this Apple and Google will be forced to make real competition. Then Microsoft will have to be better than that, making the second gen! By now, I'm guessing, the second gen will be all around better, and less costly. My opinion- wait a year or two, for a better, cheaper product.

Giovanni Farinacci

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft has been making smarter moves lately. Giving Windows 10 free to 7 and 8.1 users for the first year. They realized that their OS shouldn't be priced that high since Apple is practically giving it away and Linux is actually free. They missed their opportunity in mobile devices, yet they are slowly gaining market. Since this is a new area and Google is the only major player, they have an opportunity to price it low so a majority of consumers can afford one. This will in turn give them a good starting market share. Apple did this with the iPhone and iPad. Which will force these companies to really gets these things developing quickly and give us affordable prices. Look at how the mobile and tablet took off and made major innovations in a relatively short period. I'll be curious to see how Microsoft handles this opportunity.

brilliantmojo

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site

Okay, I have no proof of the source so I would understand if you take the following with a grain of salt; however I can say that as far as I know this guy has been correct about every Microsoft announcement I've ever heard him say [including the Hololens and its announcement date with a clear description of what it was 2 days in advance]. He explained that it will cost between $800 and $1200 with a good reasoning as to how they got it to be so low (long story short: over seas labor). It will come out with Windows 10 (he doesn't know the date nor does he exactly know the price but he gave these approximate numbers as an educated guess). He worked with the teams that prepared this for its announcement and a great deal of other Microsoft products so I trust his guess above all.

brilliantmojo

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Okay, I have no proof of the source so I would understand if you take the following with a grain of salt; however I can say that as far as I know this guy has been correct about every Microsoft announcement I've ever heard him say [including the Hololens and its announcement date with a clear description of what it was 2 days in advance]. He explained that it will cost between $800 and $1200 with a good reasoning as to how they got it to be so low (long story short: over seas labor). It will come out with Windows 10 (he doesn't know the date nor does he exactly know the price but he gave these approximate numbers as an educated guess). He worked with the teams that prepared this for its announcement and a great deal of other Microsoft products so I trust his guess above all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon