Why is there no gif as wallpaper support ?

damonator98

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Today I've found few gorgeus gifs in tumblr and decided to set them as my wallpaper. It didn't work of course and I wonder why is there no such simple thing as gif integration ? Cmon it was possible in my Nokia s40 device back in 2005 :D

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
because an animated wallpaper isn't too common (ok fine, its on Android) and it seems rather niche. probably does a number on the battery and aesthetics too.

In the grand scheme of things, I highly doubt GIF wallpaper support was ever remotely high on the todo list.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
because an animated wallpaper isn't too common (ok fine, its on Android) and it seems rather niche. probably does a number on the battery and aesthetics too.

In the grand scheme of things, I highly doubt GIF wallpaper support was ever remotely high on the todo list.
not to mention it would probably be a battery drain.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Even with transparent tiles there is so much in the way that a gif or animated wallpaper makes little sense.

However, with the new #TileArt App it might be something useful.

I will admit to missing my Koi Pond Wallpaper on Android.

damonator98

May 15, 2014
Visit site
not to mention it would probably be a battery drain.

But it made zero difference back in s40 or symbian devices :O So does different architecture mean that gifs would drain my battery ? And I think it wouldn't be so hard to implement (i'm not a developer so I'm just guessing), at least to make a lockscreen app that support gifs as backround ? :)

Daniel Olsen

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Even with transparent tiles there is so much in the way that a gif or animated wallpaper makes little sense.

This is just me, but I think it actually would make a lot of sense. The whole beauty of the start screen on WP it's that it is 'live'. When people look at my phone and are interested they mostly talk about how cool all the moving tiles are. If there was a bit more movement in the background, like, idk maybe bubbles or something, I think that would complement the live tiles really well.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
But it made zero difference back in s40 or symbian devices :O So does different architecture mean that gifs would drain my battery ? And I think it wouldn't be so hard to implement (i'm not a developer so I'm just guessing), at least to make a lockscreen app that support gifs as backround ? :)

Regardless of platform, having to deal with a moving, animated background means more work for the phone.

I can't say if it'll be hard or not, depending on how the start screen and stuff was coded, but I would expect it to be a lot more difficult than one would think. the super-niche purpose it would serve probably doesn't pass the cost-benefit test anyway.

damonator98

May 15, 2014
Visit site
This is just me, but I think it actually would make a lot of sense. The whole beauty of the start screen on WP it's that it is 'live'. When people look at my phone and are interested they mostly talk about how cool all the moving tiles are. If there was a bit more movement in the background, like, idk maybe bubbles or something, I think that would complement the live tiles really well.

Was thinking the same. So someone(maybe me when I would've learned to program) should at least make an app for it :) Is it possible to play gifs without web browser in windows 10 desktop version ?

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
it did on a few of my phones, but hardly noticeable. most older S40 and symbian phones were MUCH lower resolution it a MUCH lower pixel density, thus you're playing a much smaller file than if you ran a nice looking. now you have a high res device running a similar res animated gif? yeah, it's drain a bit faster.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett