What is the best Antivirus for Windows 8.1?

Zohaib ZJ

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Suggest me a best Antivirus for Windows 8.1..

hii..please suggest me a good antivirus for windows 8.1 (protection wise,performance and overall)...i'm currently using Windows Defender..

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

Akash Patel

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: Suggest me a best Antivirus for Windows 8.1..

Its upto everyone personal usage I had used Norton and avg both of them work great to their expectation but Norton is very resources hungry.
If you want least resources usage antivirus use Avast with malwarebytes

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
That's the worst possible antivirus.
This antivirus won't deduct most of threats.

Better to go with Bitdefender.

And if you want free then Qihoo 360.

Actually that's not true. While it doesn't ever catch as many viruses as others in tests, Microsoft have always stated it focuses on the viruses actually in the wild. I.e. ones you're likely to experience.

Antivirus is a personal choice. I've never seen issues running only Windows Defender on Windows 8+. But some people do visit a lot more unsavory sites and so likely need more protection, kind of like in the real world.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Actually that's not true. While it doesn't ever catch as many viruses as others in tests, Microsoft have always stated it focuses on the viruses actually in the wild. I.e. ones you're likely to experience.

Antivirus is a personal choice. I've never seen issues running only Windows Defender on Windows 8+. But some people do visit a lot more unsavory sites and so likely need more protection, kind of like in the real world.

I get virus mostly from External hard disk and flash drive.
And Windows defender not able to defend my pc and laptop from those viruses.

If you are light user who do little bit browsing and other Stuffs then you are ok with it.(maybe)
Otherwise I'll always suggests to go with good antivirus.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Windows Defender has really come up in the independent rankings since inception. I have recently ditched Avira and now just run Defender. It's been about 6 months and I've not had any issues.

As others have said, a lot depends on the risk level of your behaviors. Also personal preferences play a big role. I've never found any of the paid services to be worth the money when there are many fine freeware choices out there.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I was same. I thought Defender is enough to protect my PC.
however
I got virus two times and Windows defender won't able to deduct it even with scan.(last time if it was a Thor icon which is duplicating itself in every drive and every folder)
Then I installed Bitdender free version which finally able to delete that.

I am not talking about paid vs free. But Defender is the worst possible anti-virus out there which won't deduct most of virus. It failed me 2 times.

I think there are lot of good free anti-virus are there which don't effect system performance and not take much space in hard disk..
a little bit of extra security won't hurt it or is it?

Most of users forgetting this but Defender isn't enough
http://www.windowscentral.com/do-you-need-antivirus-program-your-windows-pc-2015

I think most of users here forget this but this is very educating article. Please read it again.

Last edited:

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I get virus mostly from External hard disk and flash drive.
And Windows defender not able to defend my pc and laptop from those viruses.

If you are light user who do little bit browsing and other Stuffs then you are ok with it.(maybe)
Otherwise I'll always suggests to go with good antivirus.

It does protect from USB and external drives. And as I've said, is a good antivirus covering most peoples needs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett