Is there any sign of Microsoft making a new portable high res media player?

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
So I've been in the market looking for a good high res portable media/music player lately and read a lot of reviews on forums like head-fi.org and found a lot of good reviews about the Zune players then I came to a conclusion that the Zune is apparently can still knocks out other brands in terms of performance, why did MS stopped making them anyway? They are such a good product.
So after comparing lots of portable media devices I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

Do you think it's now a good time for MS to create a whole new portable high res media player?

I'd love MS playing on this game, I think they would make a perfect,user friendly high res portable media player, its sad they killed the Zune.

Any thoughts,ideas etc.? Share in the comment pls.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The market for media players like the Zune HD and iPod touch is increasingly eclipsed by the smartphone. (considering the Samsung Galaxy Player isn't exactly around anymore, and that the iPod touch isn't seeing much refresh action the past two generations.

I don't think they'll bother with it, and instead focus on smartphones as they have. A Windows Phone isn't bad for media, especially the cheaper no-contract ones can work relatively OK.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
When you can purchase a Lumia 520 on Amazon for $29.95 with free shipping, no contract, it makes a great 8GB MP3 player. Plus, you can use it for a standalone GPS unit, and those generally go for around $100 and up. No contract necessary. Download games while on WiFi, and you've got a nice little toy on the cheap.

Why market a Zune now?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
When you can purchase a Lumia 520 on Amazon for $29.95 with free shipping, no contract, it makes a great 8GB MP3 player. Plus, you can use it for a standalone GPS unit, and those generally go for around $100 and up. No contract necessary. Download games while on WiFi, and you've got a nice little toy on the cheap.

Why market a Zune now?

What he said. ^^^

I got a couple very nice 520s from this guy recently...

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-520/336534-project-five2oh.html

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Audiophile market hasn't been cracked by smart devices yet. Most of those who failed dont simply have a competitive products for audiophiles. WP/W10 OS is I think the perfect OS for media players because it doesn't eat much of the battery. I hope Microsoft could at least embrace some of the audiophile technologies on their future devices so that it doesn't sound terrible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos