How do I change my age on my Nokia 635?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

how do i change the age of the Nokia 635?

To use #Cortana you need to be thirteen and older, i am 12. How do I change the age on my phone?

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
It's using the age that you set up your Microsoft account with. Probably, you'll have to set up a new account. Technically that would be lying, which is not a good thing to do. I had to include that to ease my conscious. :)

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: how do i change the age of the Nokia 635?

I believe you could just log in to MS account and change it from there. Or u could just hard reset and setup a new account.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

If you are 12, then according to US COPPA laws, you would be in violation of US Federal law by lying about your age. If Microsoft finds out you lied about your age in order to use the product, they would be forced by US Federal law to disable your account, which would be rather bad, especially if you have purchased any apps that are now tied to that account.

My advice... don't do it. It just isn't worth the consequences.

It doesn't really matter if you live in another country, and you feel you shouldn't be bound to that law. Because the servers used for Cortana are based in the US, Microsoft is required to follow the law no matter where you live. Even if you could avoid prosecution due to laws in your own country, Microsoft will still shut down the account if they find out, because they will still be prosecuted for it in the US.

Just leave it alone.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Change it in your Microsoft account settings on a PC.

You shouldn't have put your real birthdate since you're under 18, but eh.

Don't be scared, rhapdog makes it sound scary, but the odds anything bad really happens is practically zip. Legally yes, but "on the internet, nobody knows you're a dog." And how would they know? They wouldn't. Many of us younger kids have been there before in some way.

It's just an arbitrary legal thing, like those age gates for those video game trailers or whatever.

Your age might not be immediately updated when you change it, and you may want to create a new MS account all else fails.

You may also want to create a "parent" account to manage the automatic (and perhaps arguably dumb, considering MS is the only one who does it) app restrictions. Or you can have your actual parent or guardian do it, that works too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium