Why do I get a read-only message for documents when opening from the Files app?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

When I try to save a word or excel document, after opening it from the Files app, it tells me that the file is read-only. Even for documents that I have created on my phone (Lumia 925)... This doesn't happen when I open them directly in Office, but does when I open them from the Files app...
Thanks

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Just downloaded an excel document to my phone and it opened just fine, I could edit it without a problem. Check your settings in Excel/Words/Powerpoint? it could be that your files automatically save as protected sheets

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm the same. I don't know if it's just a failsafe feature to stop unintended edits or just a leftover bug. At least you can select 'Save As' in the first instance and overwrite the existing document.

wp_ss_20150210_0001.jpg

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Ahaha come on you guys this is too easy :p Use a PC, right click on the file in question, untick the "read-only" option, hit apply, upload the document to onedrive again (if you don't have the onedrive app for desktop), open onedrive app on the phone (hit refresh once or twice), download the document again and check if the issue is still there

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion