Why does the app store keep giving me error messages at checkout?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

App store keeps giving me error message at checkout

WHAT does the app store mean when they say "name on card" at checkout? I tried my name (which they ask for elsewhere), the name OF the card, which is Visa (they also ask for that in another place), and "Gift Card Recipient", which is what is actually printed on the card. I've used the card before with no problem, and I just checked the balance, which is considerably more than the measly 99 cents they're giving me trouble over. What do they want??

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: App store keeps giving me error message at checkout

The card holder's name?

If it is a Microsoft Gift Card, add that directly into your Wallet in the Add Card function... Then in Store Settings, make Microsoft Gift Card the preferred payment method.

selkie305

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site

It's not a Microsoft card, but a Visa gift card. Am I supposed to put that in Wallet in order to be able to order anything from the app store? And it won't put the whole balance into Wallet so I can't use it anyplace else, will it?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

If you add it to Wallet it won't take the whole balance... It will just draw from it when you purchase.

Because you were using it inside the store directly, it was assumed to be a Bank Issued Visa. Either credit or debit and that is why it asked for a Name.

Here are the Wallet Help pages: Wallet on Windows Phone | Windows Phone How-to (United Kingdom)

selkie305

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site

OK. Read all the information about Wallet. Signed into it. Then it asks me the same question the app store did - NAME ON CARD. (No helpful "What's this?" next to it or anything.) I tried everything: my name, Gift Card Recipient, Visa, Vanilla Visa, Visa Vanilla, and the numbers on the top and bottom of the back of the card. Nothing works. What exactly do they mean by "name on card"?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Next stop... Microsoft Customer Care... microsoft customer care - Bing

It obviously is asking for the card holder's name... Which I am at a loss to identify from here. Since it is a gift card, it must have a name which would equal the issuer chosen name. Normally it would be a person's name, like mine appears on any debit or credit cards I take out. But since it is a gift card there must be some generic name given... Call the Customer care people from the link above.

OR

Call the 1-800 phone number on the back of the card?

Kyorin

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Had loads of issues trying to use my car too (one that had previously worked when making purchases on the phone). I now use PayPal to pay for stuff on my phone instead - works fine every time.

selkie305

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for trying to help. I found out somewhere deep in the Microsoft "help" pages (nothing is really easy to find there, and of course they have no real contact email adress) that you can't use gift cards in the Store. Nothing anywhere I can find about Wallet. I guess I'll have to rely on free apps, though they don't have a few of the things I really need. When will Windows start getting more of the apps that have been available to Apple and Android users for years?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720