Someone from customercare@microsoft.com took control of PC and supposedly got rid of MS errors, virus, etc. Now can not get into computer from windows screen because it wants a startup password.. How do I get it back to normal and be assured I didn't fall for a scam?
    02-17-2015 09:33 PM
    I'm afraid it sounds like you've fallen for a scam. Did your support call sound like this? ?I am calling you from Windows?: A tech support scammer dials Ars Technica | Ars Technica

Microsoft will not contact you if you have a virus or malware. See more information here: Avoid Phone Scams | Cybercriminal Tech Support Scam | Security Threats
    I'm afraid it sounds like you've fallen for a scam. Did your support call sound like this? ?I am calling you from Windows?: A tech support scammer dials Ars Technica | Ars Technica

Microsoft will not contact you if you have a virus or malware. See more information here: Avoid Phone Scams | Cybercriminal Tech Support Scam | Security Threats
    02-17-2015 10:09 PM
    Sadly, you did fall for a scam.
    Probably two real options:
    ​1) Disconnect the PC from the internet. Use another PC and read up on how to reset the Windows password.
    ​2) Call a tech. If they want to charge you more than 1 hour of labour to get that password reset, they're ripping you off.
    Laura Knotek and xandros9 like this.
    02-17-2015 10:15 PM
    Sadly, you did fall for a scam.
    Probably two real options:
    ​1) Disconnect the PC from the internet. Use another PC and read up on how to reset the Windows password.
    ​2) Call a tech. If they want to charge you more than 1 hour of labour to get that password reset, they're ripping you off.
    I'm worried that there's a lot more problems than just resetting the password though.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-18-2015 12:45 PM