03-24-2015 04:00 PM
52 123
tools
    Yes, sorry for not clarifying. I'm using Android. I'm currently using a Nexus 6 with Lollipop. I guess I'm wondering what happens if you choose to sync with the popup in Facebook. You're indicating that it doesn't actually do it. I'm asking what it actually does. Nothing?

Please note that I am not in any way challenging or doubting. I never use the function so I have no clue how it works. I'm curious as to why the Facebook app would ask if you want to sync contacts if it can't actually do it.
    I said some, not all, Androids fail to sync FB contacts. I've never had a Nexus device so I don't know. If yours does, I would recommend you do for the reasons I stated above. If you could have all of a contact's information in one place would it not be easier?
    tgp likes this.
    Yes, sorry for not clarifying. I'm using Android. I'm currently using a Nexus 6 with Lollipop. I guess I'm wondering what happens if you choose to sync with the popup in Facebook. You're indicating that it doesn't actually do it. I'm asking what it actually does. Nothing?

Please note that I am not in any way challenging or doubting. I never use the function so I have no clue how it works. I'm curious as to why the Facebook app would ask if you want to sync contacts if it can't actually do it.
    I can't speak for Android, but on iPhone, (in theory) when you sync FB with your contacts, all of the information that is collected on their facebook profile would be synced with the contacts on your phone (phone number, email, address, profile picture). In addition, it would create a new contact for any friends that you have on FB that aren't in your iPhone contacts. Brilliant! Except for one thing -- Apple doesn't have their crap together and they can't seem to figure out how to execute this like Microsoft has.
    Syncing is hit and miss. Duplicate contacts get linked and then unlinked randomly. About 10% of your contacts will actually sync. If you want the rest of your contacts to sync, believe it or not, you have to go into each individual FB contact and request that they give you permission to access this information.

Somehow, Microsoft has figured out a way for this to work flawlessly and it's one of the things that I miss most about Windows Phone.
    Laura Knotek and tgp like this.
52 123