Is there a good alternative to Google Site Search?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I want to add a search bar to my website, and making a custom one looks to be time consuming. I don't want anything with "Google" in its name on my site. It doesn't look like Bing has a custom site search. Are there any good alternatives? Thank you.

PhilipAn

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
You could also try cludo.com.

We have made an easy to use Cloud-based search solution and are focusing on giving the control of the search back to the webmasters.

• Some of the features we provide are:
  • Synonyms - Your customers search for jeans, but you call it pants. With synonyms a search for jeans might also return results for pants.
  • Spell corrections ? We all do spelling mistakes, but that shouldn?t limit your users from finding results for their searches.
  • Banners ? Want to show your opening hours when your users search for ?opening hours?? Then use banners.
  • Analytics ? If you know what your customers search for, you can help improve both your search engine and your web site content.
  • Support ? We might not be as cheap as GSS, but we live by our happy users, and if you have any issues you can always call to get assistance.

Disclaimer: I work there.

jlemoine_algo

Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
Disclaimer: I am the co-founder & CTO of Algolia. I will try to be 100% transparent and unbiased.

As far as I can see, there are three approaches to replace Google Site Search:
  • Hosted Site Search (Example: Swiftype) Designed to be implemented without needing a developer, GSS customers can switch very quickly from one to the other, as these solutions come with a site crawler, algorithm & UI out-of-the-box.
  • Hosted Search API (Example: Algolia) - You’ll need a developer. The API is well-documented so most developers can get a search up and running with minimal time. A site search implementation can be built quickly using a set of provided building blocks (Example: InstantSearch library). In the long-term, ownership of an API-based implementation is attractive because you maintain all control over the data (JSON), changes to your content are reflected immediately in your search (API) and the presentation (HTML, JavaScript and CSS). In the case of Algolia, there is a point-and-click dashboard where you can do optimization, tuning and maintenance without writing any code.
  • Open Source Software (Example: Elasticsearch). Requires more developer time and a deeper technical skill set than using an API. This is the do-it-yourself approach. You will have the opportunity to build every single part of your algorithm, crawler & UI to your desire. You will need to provision and manage your own Elasticsearch cluster, or use a hosted cloud solution which will make it a lot easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon