are developers ready to develop google chrome & mozilla firefox apps for windows phone?

W

WPCentral Question

If Yes, approximately how many days or months, we hav to wait for? And what about other famous games like Talking Tom 2, Need for speed- most wanted and other previous versions,facebook official app (facebook inc.),youtube downloader official(supporting downloading in background and on SD Card), hotstar app...How much wait . . . ???

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No idea.

Official things for Google apps? Not anytime soon judging by their persistent less-than-favorable behavior.
The Facebook app we have is as official as we're getting.
Firefox? Perhaps, but no word.
All those things you listed? You'll have to go to individual developers as you can't speak for them all since on the Google side of the spectrum its "HELL NO" while another developer may be in-progress with a Windows creation.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If Yes, approximately how many days or months, we hav to wait for? And what about other famous games like Talking Tom 2, Need for speed- most wanted and other previous versions,facebook official app (facebook inc.),youtube downloader official(supporting downloading in background and on SD Card), hotstar app...How much wait . . . ???

Firefox and Chrome are not practical because developers cannot access enough native code to port a rendering engine. No sense in having Chrome, Firefox, or even Opera in Windows Phone 8.1
Developers are pretty much forced to use trident rendering engine, so you would be essentially running a Firefox themed IE11....

Doubt this is going to change in Windows 10, but I cannot say I care yet. Spartan looks promising

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Firefox and Chrome are not practical because developers cannot access enough native code to port a rendering engine. No sense in having Chrome, Firefox, or even Opera in Windows Phone 8.1
Developers are pretty much forced to use trident rendering engine, so you would be essentially running a Firefox themed IE11....

Doubt this is going to change in Windows 10, but I cannot say I care yet. Spartan looks promising

Well, the same is happening over in iOS land. While the underpinnings might not be so different, its the sync capabilities that probably are valued by people and whatnot.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't care for Chrome - it is becoming a bloated monster. Almost unusable on my Tab 10.1.

Firefox - be nice to have choice.

But the browser the native browser is not that bad.

What is it missing compared to the other two?

Curious?

Thanks,

Mr. V

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, the same is happening over in iOS land. While the underpinnings might not be so different, its the sync capabilities that probably are valued by people and whatnot.

I don't care for Chrome - it is becoming a bloated monster. Almost unusable on my Tab 10.1.

Firefox - be nice to have choice.

But the browser the native browser is not that bad.

What is it missing compared to the other two?

Curious?

Thanks,

Mr. V

Not a big deal that there is a single rendering engine in Windows Phone. But when that rendering engine does not support many of the new standards that developers use, and the fact that many developers do not take this into consideration, it causes problems for Windows Phone users.

For example, I can live without a Piazza app. However, not being able to read posts or reply to them correctly in the web browser is really, really frustrating.

While iOS's browser is not exactly up to snuff, the fact that developers actually target it compensates the lack of functionality.

While Spartan may not be a fork of Blink or Gecko, I am sure that Microsoft is emulating a lot of functionality in their new engine.

Most people do not notice the rendering issues explicitly, but I do feel as though they want a new browser because they notice things that are not behaving properly.

PratikMade

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
This is a problem with Microsoft they are not open enough with their code. We don't expect root access but at least provide the basic so that customers can have options. People don't like it when are forced to use!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon