Can someone recommend a laptop for training seminars?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Laptop for training seminars

I need to buy about 10 laptops. I need to be able to run the latest QuickBooks on it and excel. We wipe out the files after each training session so I don't really care about keeping files. The issue we had with our old laptops is the RAM required to install the new QuickBooks version.

We travel with them, so lightweight is important and a long battery life is great, but sometimes we remove the battery because of the weight issue and just use the cord.

HP Stream 11 Laptop Includes Office 365 Personal for One Year I saw this on Amazon for under $200.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Laptop for training seminars

System requirements for QuickBooks 2015 - QuickBooks? Support | Intuit UK

This says QuickBooks 2015 requires 2 GB of RAM, which is about met by all but the cheapest/oldest devices.

The HP Stream 11 appears to be a fine budget option.
Another option is older refurbished PCs. Older high-end PCs might work fine for your needs.
(I got my personal ThinkPad T400 refurbished about fours years after the model debuted for a great price - only major issue is lack of gaming chops and performance is still adequate - its been upgraded slightly though.)

Although I'd recommend getting 3 or 4 GB of RAM.

yelloeyes

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site

xandros9... do you think the Stream 11 will be maxed with QB and Microsoft Office?

I do agree the Stream 11 is a great little laptop at a great price and I am also looking at it for travel purposes. The question that was posed was if it would be able to handle the Quickbooks program which requires:

requires at least a 2 GHz processor and 1GB of RAM, though a faster processor is recommended and 2GB of RAM is necessary for multi-user systems. The program requires 2.5GB of free hard disk space, and data files will require additional space.

Looking at the specifications on this model and that it is not upgradable, does it have the capacity to handle the Quickbooks and to download Microsoft Office? Would it be maxed out with those two programs alone?

Thank you in advance.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

That device, assuming you're talking about 32 GB of storage, since I don't remember off the top of my head, should be OK, although I'm not familiar with QuickBooks myself. As long as it doesn't start cranking out multi gigabyte data sets, I think that and Office will fit nicely. I had a tablet that was similarly equipped and after installing Office (well, it was prejnstalled) some other things, I still had a few gigabytes left over.

You can toss in an SD card if you need extra space as well.

yelloeyes

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site

The HP Stream 11 has the following:

HP Stream 11 Specs (as tested)

Display: 11.6" HD anti-glare WLED-backlit (1366 x 768)

Processor: Dual Core 2.16GHz Intel Celeron N2840 (Bay Trail)

Storage: 32GB eMMC

Memory: 2GB

Wireless: 802.11b/g/n (1x1); Bluetooth

Off Office Depot site:

Ultra-portable laptop computer

11.6? HD display for stunning images. 1366 x 768 widescreen resolution offers great quality. WLED backlighting provides a thinner, more energy-efficient screen.
Powered by Intel Celeron processor.
2GB of memory included. Memory is expandable up to 32GB. Additional memory sold separately.
32GB solid-state drive stores files. Keeps your running programs active, while your computer resumes from suspension in about 2 seconds.
Features Wireless-N (802.11n) for high-performance, cable-free networking. Access wireless networks to share files, surf the Web and exchange e-mail. Fully compatible with 802.11b/g.
Memory card reader for file transfers made fast and easy.
Features 1 USB 3.0 port for ultra-fast data transfers. USB 3.0 is up to 10 times faster than USB 2.0, yet fully compatible with USB 2.0.
Features a front-facing HD webcam with dual array digital microphone so you can keep in touch via video and voice messaging.
DTS Studio Stereo helps provide immersive audio.
Bluetooth? wireless technology permits short-range wireless data transfers at up to 30' with other Bluetooth-enabled devices, such as phones, speakers and printers.
Use the HDMI? port to view videos and photos on your HDTV. (HDMI cable sold separately.)
1TB of Microsoft OneDrive storage included for 1 year.
Up to 8.25 hours of battery life. Battery life will vary depending on the product configuration, product model, applications loaded on the product, power management setting of the product, and the product features used by the customer. As with all batteries, the maximum capacity of this battery will decrease with time and usage.
Runs on Google Chrome OS.
Intel, the Intel Logo, Intel Inside, Intel Core, and Core Inside are trademarks of Intel Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries.

Will throwing an SD card in there be enough? I am assuming from everything I read I will be deleting a ton of garbage ware off the initial purchase.

Thank you so much... trying to order this today for next week.

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Woah there!
(That says it runs on Google's Chrome OS, while that is suitable for web browsing, that won't run QuickBooks nor Office.
Make sure it comes with Windows! That's a requirement!)

But otherwise, throwing in an SD card should be enough for your extra storage needs.

EDIT: I went to the Office Depot website and it says Chrome as an OS, but elsewhere on the spec sheet it says Windows.
I think its Windows, but consistency though.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site

There is a chrome os equivalent but the stream 11, as reviewed in this site, is definitely win 8.1 with an office 365 and extended one drive subscription! (I'm in the UK and that's the deal I'm seeing generally, over here).

I've got some quickbook experience and the 2gb here should be fine - if you run chrome with some tabs, quickbook and a couple of office windows (word, excel, ppt etc) and adobe reader; um, you should have some headroom. The processor is alright, not a lot of grunt, and it's reasonably well built.

It's a good system, though you can get refurb Lenovo, hp or even dell devices - larger, like the t440, but you can also expand. 4gb is a minimum, for general computing - that's just my opinion; if all you're doing is the training and some general stuff after, the stream 11 is a solid choice.

yelloeyes

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
I copied and pasted that right from Office Depot's site.

I have a Lenovo E431 at home for my business that I LOVE... I just cannot carry it on my damn arm all day. My whole business is on this computer so I am just looking for one to process orders on while I am on the road. I have a Kindle I read on and listen to music on, so I would be using the HP Stream 11 JUST for QB Premier 2014 and Office (I do my packing slips through Excel... don't ask... LMAO)

I just thought 2GB may be way too small if QB needed 1 GB of it.... I am not a "techie" and I do not know enough about what 32 GB SSD means ;)

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes