I want to buy a windows phone but i have a few concerns ?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

1 - I've heard that you cant download files larger than 50 MB without wifi
2 - I've also heard that you can update the OS only through wifi
3 - You can't download a file in background , it will stop downloading
and lastly 4 - You cant share mp3 and video files to other phones through bluetooth

Please tell if these are true and if there is any solution available.

AdrianoTiger

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
1,2: I think it is only a setting. Uploading photos to onedrive and download big apps need the WiFi normally so it is disabled by default. If you want, you can download any file also without WiFi.
3: WP is not multitasking. Some downloads are taken by the system (like download a WP update or updates for apps). If you are downloading Here maps or something with IE, you need to leave open the app.
4: BT is implemented really bad in WP. Not so bad like on iOS but not so good like Android. You should be happy if you are able to share more than only a photo with another device. Forget to share a mp3 (even with other WP devices).

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
1,2: I think it is only a setting. Uploading photos to onedrive and download big apps need the WiFi normally so it is disabled by default. If you want, you can download any file also without WiFi.
3: WP is not multitasking. Some downloads are taken by the system (like download a WP update or updates for apps). If you are downloading Here maps or something with IE, you need to leave open the app.
4: BT is implemented really bad in WP. Not so bad like on iOS but not so good like Android. You should be happy if you are able to share more than only a photo with another device. Forget to share a mp3 (even with other WP devices).

Don't discourage him!‎:p

Last edited:

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Q
A
If you want to download apps from the store then you need wifi if they are larger then 50 mb (or in some regions 100 mb) you can NOT use date and there is NO setting to change that.
What you can do is download the apps with your pc and install them via a SD card.
Or use a second mobile and if this has 3g you can use share internet to create a wifi hotspot and you than can connect your phone to this wifi.

Q
For this you need indeed wifi or use the internet sharing but be aware that this can be big updates up to 1G or more.
Or you need to use your pc to flash your phone with the lumia software recovery tool but this will erase all your data and you have to install the apps again and for this you need again wifi.

So if you do not have a PC or Wifi then you need to have a lot of cellular data but this is not only for a windows phone but also for an android phone.

rAj06

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I would recommend you to wait out till Windows 10 for phones to release and see how the app situation progresses from there. OS itself is good, new features in 10 would be welcome. But if you like using many apps, and coming from IOS or Android you would be disappointed. Have been using WP and converted many of my friends to WP and don't want to suggest anyone now till something substantial happens.

shishu1

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
The native music player doesn't give you the option to send audio through bt. Simply download"files" and then you can send videos, audio ,pictures pdf files virtually anything through Bluetooth. You can download apps in the background. Also to can download files through ie in the background as well( make sure ie is set to always enabled in battery if you have battery saver turned on). You can even switch tabs while downloading files in another tab. Downloads like map updates cant be put to background though.

spch

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
The native music player doesn't give you the option to send audio through bt. Simply download"files" and then you can send videos, audio ,pictures pdf files virtually anything through Bluetooth. You can download apps in the background. Also to can download files through ie in the background as well( make sure ie is set to always enabled in battery if you have battery saver turned on). You can even switch tabs while downloading files in another tab. Downloads like map updates cant be put to background though.

Files comes preloaded in current phones.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
3 - You can't download a file in background , it will stop downloading
and lastly 4 - You cant share mp3 and video files to other phones through bluetooth

Please tell if these are true and if there is any solution available.

1. You can't download apps above 100 MB or 20 MB (I've seen both numbers)
Nothing is stopping you from streaming a 500 MB YouTube video though.

2. You can download some updates over cellular if you check the option in the settings, but I doubt it'll download a massive 1 GB update over cellular.

3. That really depends on the app. In many system stuff like map updates, that's true, but I noticed myTube downloaded videos in the background.

4. I don't know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720