Why can't I download the Windows phone recovery tool?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

windows phone recovery tool

Trying to roll back software on my Lumia 830 to be able to download the windows 10 preview. I have downloaded the recovery tool, downloaded the software, then when it comes to installing the software it says "operation started" then suddenly pops up saying "operation failed. The phone could not be found." Is there any way to get this to work?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: windows phone recovery tool

Go to "safely remove devices" in the system tray when phone is plugged in and snap it aside, under unknown devices - "Nokia Flash" will appear if your phone is the flash state and can be reflashed.

1) Try the cable supplied with the phone, that is a factory cable if that doesn't work

2)a) Get into the flash mode / bootloader by holding the power key + volume down until the phone vibrates then hold the volume up key until the Nokia Logo shifts to the top.

b) Plug your phone back in and run the recovery tool again, you may need to wait a few minutes for the software to detect your phone. You should see "unknown devices" cycle from Nokia Info -> Nokia Bootloader -> Nokia Flash

3) If the above doesn't work and your having difficulty getting into the flash mode / boot loader.
a) Disconnect your phone and close the recovery tool
b) run the tool and click my phone is not detected
c) hold the volume down + power button until it vibrates then hold the volume up button.
You should see "unknown devices" cycle from Nokia Info -> Nokia Bootloader -> Nokia Flash.

The latter method is the only method that works with my 920 and only with a Nokia supplied cable, also make sure you do not run anything else whilst flashing. I have encountered several bsods whilst flashing my 920 even running winamp during the flash process would cause my laptop to bsod. Not saying it will happen to you but better be safe then sorry.

connorloftus

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site

This worked, thank you very much! I have now managed to get to the "insider fast" or "insider slow" option. I select fast, then it says there is an error as there is already an update to be installed. Also, how do I restore a backup? I skipped it by accident during the phone start up.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Hmm interesting, normally on 8.x after your phone has loaded up on the start screen.
1) You would need to sign in with the previous microsoft account set up on your phone
2) Go to back up under settings.
3) When you turn text message back up on, they will start restoring.
4) Turn on app+settings and go to manage, you may have a restore option (for instance I have no option to set a static IP, whereas some do).

I have never been able to restore after the phone has loaded onto the start screen, it would require a hard reset to get back to the restore wizard.

I am not sure how the back up + restore process works on the preview for Windows 10 as I don't have a compatible device to able to check it out.

So if I was to hazard a guess, you may need to do hard reset if there is no restore option under backup in the settings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital