OWA App for Windows Phone?

hubbl3

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
iPhone and Android have it, but why isn't it part of the Windows ecosystem? Am I missing something? My company doesn't allow me to use the Mail feature of the phone, but the OWA app would work fine. Does anyone know anything about this?

hubbl3

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
As it is a "work" email, I would rather not have to be logging into the webmail client each time. The OWA apps on both iPhone and Android also provide notifications on new email, just like the actual mail app. It just seems odd for MS to release an app for iPhone and Android without one for Windows Phone.

hubbl3

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
I've tried this. We use Office365 along with MobileIron, so I'm not sure what the URL is. I've looked at my instance of Outlook2013 and it's this super long URL that I can't fully paste into the "server" text box. The OWA App gets around it since webmail is allowed outside of MobileIron.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
it's probably because you normally wouldn't access OWA if you're on WP, you'd access the exchange server directly. MobileIron (never heard of it until now) seems to be a MDM, and it does support Windows Mobile (the site says mobile, not phone, not sure if it's a typo or WM6 my be the highest version it supports)

it "should" just work, but if MDM isn't properly setup (or if WM6 is the highest it supports) then there may not be much you can do without buying your network manager a few beers and having him check it out.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
They may include the apps they recently bought, rebranded as Outlook etc.

​For OWA, could try pointing the Mail client at <company>.onmicrosoft.com possibly with /OWA at the end.
​OWA is just a proxy through to Exchange. I've not used MobileIron, but you may well have to speak to IT to get permission to connect the device up. Be prepared for security/policy discussions though. Both of which are non-arguments, but I know there's a lot of bad sysadmins out there.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you read the OP, you'll see that the company involved is disallowing the use of corporate mail on BYOD, so it's not very likely that they'll entertain or support the idea of a workaround.

There might well be a good reason for disallowing corporate data on BYOD.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I did read it.
Hence the suggestion to sort it out with IT.
Some people can think for themselves and propose/embrace change rather than just blindly following policies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos