Using Windows Phone in Japan?

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,
I'm from Indonesia. I'm going to go to Japan later this month and will be staying there for 2 years.

From what I've heard, Windows Phone is not officially sold in Japan. So, I have some question to ask:
1. How could you get a Windows Phone in Japan?
2. Will an international version of the 1020 work with Japanese carriers?
3. Which carrier offers cheapest plans for call and data?

Thank you in advance :)

WP8_Lover

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I have been waiting to get an answer to this question for a long time.

I have a family member living in Japan and she wants a Windows Phone too. Too bad for her, WP is not *present* in Japan. And from what we gathered, no carrier sells you a SIM card. You will have to buy a phone with contract. So, your 1020 is probably gonna end up as a fond phone you can't use. Tell me if you find a way.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Looks like I'm going to grab an iPhone then :(

But, I found something interesting: expansys.jp sells some Windows Phones. Why would they sell them if nobody in Japan can use them?
There has to be at least one way to make it happen...

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Looks like I'm going to grab an iPhone then :(

But, I found something interesting: expansys.jp sells some Windows Phones. Why would they sell them if nobody in Japan can use them?
There has to be at least one way to make it happen...

Kyocera and a company called Mouse have committed to new Windows phones (both Japanese companies) and multiple carriers had Windows Phone 7.5 devices.

I think with a little work you could make it happen, but what drawbacks their may be might not make it worth it.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Kyocera and a company called Mouse have committed to new Windows phones (both Japanese companies) and multiple carriers had Windows Phone 7.5 devices.

I think with a little work you could make it happen, but what drawbacks their may be might not make it worth it.

Fingers crossed for the next flagship to be sold in Japan...

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,
I'm from Indonesia. I'm going to go to Japan later this month and will be staying there for 2 years.

From what I've heard, Windows Phone is not officially sold in Japan. So, I have some question to ask:
1. How could you get a Windows Phone in Japan?
2. Will an international version of the 1020 work with Japanese carriers?
3. Which carrier offers cheapest plans for call and data?

Thank you in advance :)
There's a Japanese WP called the Freetel Ninja

Lmcurse

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if this may help you but I own a 1520.3 and I visited japan a few months ago. I'm from the US, and my 1520 worked fine.. 3-4 bars on H... Although t-mobile sent me a text to upgrade speeds for an additional fee or keep using the free version. it would switch between docomo and softbank. i was only texting and mms messages to friends back home though no calls.

Last edited:

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
found something that could be the answer to my 2nd and 3rd question:
Life in Japan - How I Cut My Mobile Phone Bill In Half

There's a Japanese WP called the Freetel Ninja
I lol'd at the name, but thanks for the information :D

I don't know if this may help you but I own a 1520.3 and I visited japan a few months ago. I'm from the US, and my 1520 worked fine.. 3-4 bars on H... Although t-mobile sent me a text to upgrade speeds for an additional fee or keep using the free version. it would switch between docomo and softbank. i was only texting and mms messages to friends back home though no calls.
thanks for the information, dude
pretty sure Indonesia's Telkomsel on my 1020 would be able to roam through docomo/softbank's network just as your 1520 does

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo