I'm on a Lumia 1520 (RM-938) running Denim.

Error messages says to refresh data, but it doesn't help.

Anyone?
    03-20-2015 09:24 AM
    Post Denim, there is an update to Motion Data. Use SysApp Pusher to verify your (App) setting entry is updated to the latest version.
    03-20-2015 01:34 PM
    Post Denim, there is an update to Motion Data. Use SysApp Pusher to verify your (App) setting entry is updated to the latest version.
    Thanks for your post.

But I'm not following your instruction. Can you give me more details?
    03-22-2015 12:23 AM
    Please Install this App: SysApp Pusher | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Start the App... Page down the list for Motion Data. Tap that name. If it says Update on the bottom buttons of the App page, tap Update.

Motion Data gets called an App for convenience. It really is integrated at the system settings level.

SysApp Pusher is a great way to see these types of pseudoApps.
    Captain_Eric likes this.
    03-22-2015 12:31 AM
    Please Install this App: SysApp Pusher | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Start the App... Page down the list for Motion Data. Tap that name. If it says Update on the bottom buttons of the App page, tap Update.

Motion Data gets called an App for convenience. It really is integrated at the system settings level.

SysApp Pusher is a great way to see these types of pseudoApps.
    Thanks.

But, Motion Data is not listed in Sysapp! (Though I can see it is installed under settings.)

What does that mean?
    03-22-2015 07:30 AM
    check Motion Data is on in settings.
    Captain_Eric likes this.
    03-22-2015 11:39 AM
    check Motion Data is on in settings.
    Thanks for getting back me

Where do I turn on Motion Data in settings?

The sole option I see in settings is Motion Data, where it does not offer an option to turn it on. (It offers an option to select "Places Visited," which I've always had turned on).
    03-22-2015 06:50 PM
    on top page in Motion Data, there is Apps option with 1 installed,. Click on Apps and you should see Health & Fitness. If not try to reinstall Health & Fitness app to get it listed.
    Does it show your places visited places with line if you click on Recent Places option?
    RumoredNow and Captain_Eric like this.
    03-23-2015 08:54 AM
    on top page in Motion Data, there is Apps option with 1 installed,. Click on Apps and you should see Health & Fitness. If not try to reinstall Health & Fitness app to get it listed.
    Does it show your places visited places with line if you click on Recent Places option?
    Thank you again. I really appreciate it.

But, yes, I had it all set up like you described.

To double check, I uninstalled MSN Health and Fitness, turn off, turn on the phone, reinstalled MSN H&F. Turn off and on. Confirmed it was "installed" in Motion Data and .... It didnt help.

Here some more details, which might help you guys help me:

In MSN H&F, I still (sometimes) see on the first page steps window : "!Steps tracking is turned off." (I don't know where or how to turn it off, let alone how to turn it back on.) If l click on "Steps" the underlying screen does not populate the data fields and says something like "!Error. Failed to get Data. Please refresh," which doesn't fix it.

And on some rare occasions, the step counter works fine.

Frustration ....
    03-23-2015 07:00 PM
    In Settings menu of the MSN Health app, then goto Permissions tab and check if Location Services is On and below Data Usage - Update data only on Wi-Fi is Off.
    RumoredNow and Captain_Eric like this.
    03-24-2015 10:27 AM
    In Settings menu of the MSN Health app, then goto Permissions tab and check if Location Services is On and below Data Usage - Update data only on Wi-Fi is Off.
    Thanks.

I checked those settings. All good.

Here's another thing: Yesterday the step counter worked! Only once, for a short time, but it worked.

What could cause intermittent problems? Strange.
    03-25-2015 05:11 PM
    Captain_Eric,

I'm sorry to say it is starting to sound like a hardware problem... You may want to look into warranty repair.
    Captain_Eric likes this.
    03-25-2015 08:18 PM
    Captain_Eric,

I'm sorry to say it is starting to sound like a hardware problem... You may want to look into warranty repair.
    Uh oh. Now that takes all the fun out of this investigation. 😊

I bought from egghead.com, I believe, in September. I wonder how long the warranty is, and where do I send it?

And today, the fickle thing works!!!! And, though who knows for sure, seems the problem appeared after Denim. I dream of an update...

What do you think of a hard reset?

All joking aside, I really appreciate your help.
    03-26-2015 02:38 PM
    I think a Hard Reset just repeats the same "bad file" error if you have one.

Since you will be loosing data anyway... Run a backup and reflash the OS/Firmware with Lumia Software Recovery Tool. Stay away from Windows Phone Recovery Tool for now. It's effectiveness is questionable and you aren't reverting from Win 10.

Get LSRT here: FAQ - How can I recover/reset/restore my phone software? - Microsoft - USA

If you reset your phone with LSRT and the issue persists it is almost 100% a hardware issue.
    Captain_Eric likes this.
    03-26-2015 03:03 PM
    open ms health
    press icon at the top left
    scroll down to device settings
    tap on your device (phone or band)
    turn on motion here

it is not enough to just turn on motion in system settings and allow ms health to use it
    it may be off in the ms health app even if it is on in system settings

hope this helps
    jschultzmke likes this.
    08-14-2016 07:12 AM