Way to upgrade downgraded windows ?

damonator98

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Quetion sounds a bit silly, but yes, I have this strange problem. My grandpa got a windows 8 laptop, but he had hard time learning to use it so his teacher(teaches him to use pc) installed windows 7(or downgraded to it). Recently he gave the laptop to me and i want genuine windows 8, but strangely i couldn't find any product code for old windows on laptop or in the box. But I've found windows.old folder with old windows 8 instalation in which could be product key. So what should I do or where should I dig to get windows 8 back ? Ps. Also it seems that Windows 7 in thta laptop aren't genuine...

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
The newer laptops won't have a sticker with a key. Install the proper version of Windows (direct from MS site) and it will automagically activate - manufacturer key embedded in it.

Just had to do this with our Win 8 laptop, hard drive died with no warning. Put in new one after downloading and creating USB stick install on another PC and bam, 8.1 up and running.

Edit: I did a clean install though there were options for upgrading etc, if you want to save any data you would want to dig around first...

damonator98

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks psiu_glen, I'll try to do it your way, cause i have win 8 sticker on back and in bios i found "preinstalled OS win8 (some letter mess)" I just recently found that people who took care of his laptop somehow managed to install two conflicting windows 7 versions (also not genuine ones) in one partition of HDD so i'd like to take care of this mess... Which way is better in your opinion: intalling windows 8 in another partition and formating the "messed up" one OR merging both partitions and then formating HDD from xp instalation disk, installing not genuine XP, and then ?genuine? (if I understood you corectly) windows 8 ? Grrr, I'm surprised how people who don't know what they're doing can mess completely brand new pc so badly...

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
What model laptop is it? That might help determine. You might want to note that code down from BIOS.

I haven't had to deal with anything like that thankfully...what a mess. At least it sounds like you don't have any data on there. Of course, the real issue is getting a valid Windows install working for free, as the laptop came with one. But it sounds like they messed that all up already?

In which case I think the nuke from orbit and wipe it all and cross your fingers approach is the way to go. (disclaimer: I'm not buying a copy if Windows if it doesn't work for you) ;)

I looked up info on Thurrott's site, he's been going through some current examples of this sort of thing.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/1003/clean-pc-download-windows-7-windows-8-1-setup-media-legally

https://www.thurrott.com/tag/clean-pc/

damonator98

May 15, 2014
Visit site
So i can confirm that upgrading downgraded windows is possible by downloading untouched windows 8 (in this case) OEM version from torrent. This is what I did and it worked flawlessly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99