[Dropped in water] Why is my phone continuosly rebooting itself?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I dropped my Nokia Lumia 1020 in the toilet about two hours ago and I instantly pulled it out and got all the water off. I went to put the case back on and held the power button too long. It got stuck on the power down screen for about 20 minutes so I did a soft reset. After I tried to do a soft reset, it won't stop rebooting itself. It will go up to the black screen with Nokia written in white then it will shutter almost and a little white will pop up at the bottom and will then go back to the beginning of the process. It has been doing this for almost 45 minutes now and I don't know what to do. Even if I could just make it stop for now. Thanks in advance.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why has my phone been continuously been rebooting?

Turn it off completely, take a bag of rice (you won't be needing it after this experiment), put the phone inside it for a few hours (a day preferred), connect to charger and attempt to start

Daniel Gilbert M

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
I dropped my Nokia Lumia 1020 in the toilet about two hours ago and I instantly pulled it out and got all the water off. I went to put the case back on and held the power button too long. It got stuck on the power down screen for about 20 minutes so I did a soft reset. After I tried to do a soft reset, it won't stop rebooting itself. It will go up to the black screen with Nokia written in white then it will shutter almost and a little white will pop up at the bottom and will then go back to the beginning of the process. It has been doing this for almost 45 minutes now and I don't know what to do. Even if I could just make it stop for now. Thanks in advance.

One does not simply power on a phone after its hit the water.
Even if you claim to have pulled it out instantly and got all the water off, moisture will still remain inside and can cause short circuit.
One option to open it up and expose under a hairdryer for short intervals (best option is to leave it in a jar of rice for a few days).

Do not turn on your device unless you make sure 100% of moisture is gone.

If you can't do it yourself, its best to take it to a nearby nokia care center.

Last edited:

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Whenever phone gets into water......very first thing should be to remove battery (if possible, I know not possible in 1020) or immediate shut down the device (such as in case of 1020). You should try to restart / reset or any other way to start it up only after you are sure that all water is soaked...internal one as well, leaving which you are risking of short circuits. Sorry for your phone!!

Toan Le

May 20, 2014
Visit site
One option to open it up and expose under a hairdryer for short intervals (best option is to leave it in a jar of rice for a few days).

I read somewhere that using a hairdryer is NOT recommended, as the dryer will push the remaining water deeper into the phone. Leaving the phone in a jar of rice, or whatever water-absorbing is recommended.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs