Is there a Windows Phone coming that could replace my Blackberry Passport?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

All I read about is how Blackberry will have no choice but to exit the hardware business. Windows Phones seem like the next best option for I do not like Apple or Android. Is there anything on the horizon that would be similar to the Blackberry Passport?

Full disclosure...I use Outlook.com, OneDrive, OneNote and have a Surface 2. So I like the products. Thank you!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe there is any physical QWERTY coming to Windows Phone any time soon.

Sad, innit? I took a similar hit coming off webOS. I pined for that QWERTY... Then I got over it. Then Word Flow keyboard hit... (Think Android SWYPE.) Now it is pretty good and I hardly ever think of a physical QWERTY... *sigh*.

Now... To really match you to a phone we need more particulars, of course. We have no idea what country, what carrier, what budget you are on.

As a general rule the new 640 and 640 XL look to be nice for the current release low-to-mid-tier and they are generating a lot of buzz around here.

There are a couple of aging flagships that sill serve well and are anticipating the leap to Windows 10. The Lumia 930/Icon and the 1520. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that an HTC One M8 is probably not your cup of tea with the gimmicky dual lens camera and the Android pedigree.

Our most anticipated devices are still to be announced in the form of Windows 10 Mobile purpose built flagships...

Why not join the forum, learn from reading and discussing and get a Reply button so you can participate in your own thread?

Bfalcon1

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks...I am a member but did not login. I came over from Crackberry. I posted the question.

To answer your questions I am in NY/NJ and on T-Mobile. I prefer a top flagship phone for I am a heavy business user. I am not too concerned for I used to have a Z10.

I am thinking more down the road hoping there will be a good phone that I can eventually replace my Blackberry with. It seems a lot of what I am reading about are moderate/budget type phones. Any advice would be great! Thanks...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
How do you feel about phablets?

To match a high caliber model to T-Mo takes a bit of work as T-Mo has not sported a branded WP flagship since the 925 and that is probably getting a bit long in the tooth as it is older than your Passport.

And if you don't run a T-Mo branded phone you can't use the WiFi calling App which I imagine is probably a basic need in the crowded canyons of NYC...

Currently a SIM unlocked ATT 1520 or a Factory Unlocked 1520.3 for Latin America would be the most powerful phone you could run on T-Mo. It takes a nanoSIM and has a 6" IPS LCD HD screen, a 20MP rear camera that is very capable and stores 5MP oversampled pics for zoom and crop + high-res jpg or dng for off phone edit, microSD and killer battery life.

Close runner-up is a T-Mo Branded HTC One M8. They may be out there used. Seems T-Mo no longer offer them on their site and they are not on the Microsoft Store.

Speaking of the Microsoft Store... They have an Unlocked Lumia 830 that might do. It has a lot going for it as an "affordable flagship." It's a solid all around performer.

Maybe take a trip to GSMarena or your fave phone spec site to do some comparisons.

For instance... Here's my phone (a 1520.3) vs your current model:
BlackBerry Passport vs. Nokia Lumia 1520 - GSMArena.com

I would say the two are a pretty even match up.

To exceed the Passport, you will have to wait for the next Flagship...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb