Which should I get the Surface Pro vs. Surface 3?

dgmorelli

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Surface Pro vs. Surface 3

OK, long story short. Purchased a Surface 2 back in September and didn't know that RT wouldn't run .exe files, which is important to me as I am running research databases and software for my Masters program. So, handed it off to my wife and got a second hand original Surface Pro, 128mb, i5 processor. So, the 16:9 screen sometimes drives me nuts, but it runs plenty fine....minus the short battery time, so purchased a PowerCover keyboard, which allows me to run it somewhere in the neighbourhood of 8-10 hours.

Now MSFT introduces the Surface 3. Much better battery specs, a 3:2 screen (so my aging eyes can see more), a better kickstand, but other than that, is there significant enough difference with processing speed to make the jump?

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Re: Surface Pro vs. Surface 3

You might find the Pro 3 is a better fit for you than the 3 - heftier CPU, more RAM for databases etc. And you'll get the newer i3/5/7 processor. With just the 3 you'll be compromising horsepower for battery life.

dgmorelli

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site

You might find the Pro 3 is a better fit for you than the 3 - heftier CPU, more RAM for databases etc. And you'll get the newer i3/5/7 processor. With just the 3 you'll be compromising horsepower for battery life.

So, then the processor on my original Surface Pro is still a better processor than the Surface 3, or comparable?

What I'm hearing then is go the SP3 or SP4 when it comes out instead and keep workin' the SP until I need to upgrade?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

So, then the processor on my original Surface Pro is still a better processor than the Surface 3, or comparable?

What I'm hearing then is go the SP3 or SP4 when it comes out instead and keep workin' the SP until I need to upgrade?

In terms of raw horsepower, the Pro is superior to the non-Pro 3.
However the 3 wins in efficiency and isn't exactly weak, but its not as great as any Pro model.

I'd probably wait, see if a Pro 4 appears this summer. Although getting a Pro 3 isn't a bad decision since its still capable.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12