Microsoft Store fix bricked 520

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
You should be able to reflash that yourself. You typically can't brick the boot loader (like never) and providing that still runs you can reflash the phone using the new Windows 8 Lumia Recovery Tool

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
AFAIK you will still have to pay (around $100, unless you bought the phone from that store in which case it will be $50).

A user provided this info so I don't know if it's true

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
They should charge you (it was your actions that bricked it, same reasoning as if it was physically damaged because you'd hit it with a lump hammer).
whether they choose to or not, who knows. You might get lucky.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
If they do charge you, it would be more economical to pick up a 635 from Amazon or Walmart, which is less than the price of the repair, and a more capable phone. Loved the 520 when I had it, love my 635 even more.

Either way, I'd try to use the recovery tool mentioned above first. Best of luck with it.

If they do the repair for you, all they will do is use the recovery tool to reflash the ROM, so you should try that yourself first.

Celldweller97

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
They should charge you (it was your actions that bricked it, same reasoning as if it was physically damaged because you'd hit it with a lump hammer).
whether they choose to or not, who knows. You might get lucky.

Windows phone recovery tool bricked it . i've used lumia recovery before andi have never had problems with it before.

Celldweller97

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
If they do charge you, it would be more economical to pick up a 635 from Amazon or Walmart, which is less than the price of the repair, and a more capable phone. Loved the 520 when I had it, love my 635 even more.

Either way, I'd try to use the recovery tool mentioned above first. Best of luck with it.

If they do the repair for you, all they will do is use the recovery tool to reflash the ROM, so you should try that yourself first.

Might get the 635 far more cheaper than to get a new 520 over here

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Windows phone recovery tool bricked it
Not to get all argue-y, but you were only using WPRT to roll back an install that had some pretty big warnings attached to it. Bottom line, you had a working phone, read some warnings, accepted some risks then did an action that's put your phone in an undesirable state. By choice.
Of course they should retain the right to charge you to untangle your device.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Sadly doesnt seem like it would work since nokia care suite wont detect the phone

Since they were trying QPST, not Nokia Care, it stood a small chance.

Reading the news, Microsoft know of the issue as they've removed L52x support from W10p. Windows Central reported that Microsoft are working with customers who experienced this issue. I would contact them on Twitter for help now they've acknowledged the issues.

Celldweller97

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Since they were trying QPST, not Nokia Care, it stood a small chance.

Reading the news, Microsoft know of the issue as they've removed L52x support from W10p. Windows Central reported that Microsoft are working with customers who experienced this issue. I would contact them on Twitter for help now they've acknowledged the issues.
Could you send me a link to their twitter account?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05