How do you match music you own in Xbox Music for Windows 8.1?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I have heard one of the features of Xbox Music on Windows 8.1 is the ability to match songs that you own t the Xbox Music cloud so you can listen to them on other devices (phone and tablet) later.

In my Xbox Music app however I do not see any option to match songs or albums of music that I own. When I right click on a song or album one of the options that appears is "Find Album Info" but all that does is to update the metadata associated with that particular song or album.

Can anyone describe the process of how you match your locally stored music to the cloud so it can be played back later on another device?

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
If you let your Windows 8 Xbox Music app see the location of the music files located on your PC, it will add all of the music to your collection, where you can access it with your phone and stream all of the music, if you are an Xbox music subscriber.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Music matching to the cloud no longer exists. Any music that you have stored in your "music" folder on your OneDrive account will now play to all your devices regardless if the Xbox Music Library has it or not.

Log into your OneDrive and find the music folder that Microsoft should have created for you a little while ago. Drag and drop all your music into that folder and it will all start to be processed. Depending on how much music you have, it should be available on all your Xbox music devices soon.

You do not need a Xbox Music subscription to stream music you own on windows devices. To stream music you own on Apple and Android devices you need a subscription.

paulsalter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
The matching does still work, but its not automatic anymore (if you have a music pass)

Add local music and let the music app add it
Go into the store and find the album you just added, click add to collection
The 2 albums will now be merged and show as one

Or add it to Onedrive as above (assuming you have BB capable of large uploads)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon