Band and Windows 10

davidewart

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
All the Windows 10 talk I've heard so far has not mentioned wearables. So I'm wondering if that is something I've missed, or are wearables not included - so far - in any announced W10 plans. Just how small does the "one experience across all devices go?"

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
From the way the Band and Hololens (afaik) they're meant to be complimentary, so they won't need to run w10. They just need certain updates to make them compatible. As far as how small it goes.. I think 520 is the smallest device we have and the 520 can run W10..

As far as tablets go, Im not sure, but the SP3 seems to be running W10

idokamaroq

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
If you're talking about Microsoft's vision of everything is Windows, then I'd say there's a good possibility that the Band gets a big update (OR any future Bands would have) that's called Win 10 for Band.

At this point, Windows 10 isn't really an OS. That's just part of it. Windows 10 is a family/generation of devices that all run in a somewhat unified environment. So, if the Band did get such an update, it'll be like how the IoT version runs on Raspberry Pi. It isn't desktop Windows or anything like that (not really any GUI at all in that case). It'll be a specialized thing that they call Windows 10 because it's in the Windows 10 family.

But don't expect any insane feature upgrades, the band is more or less WYSIWYG.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
The broad definition of Windows 10 is "a platform that runs Windows 10 universal apps." Using that definition, HoloLens is definitely running Windows 10 and current version of Band likely never will.

idokamaroq

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Look at Win10 IoT. My raspberry pi runs windows universal apps, and it has a similar architecture to the band. The whole point of "universal" is that it runs on everything. The point of all this is that we're moving past the time where apps only ran on certain devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz