Where can I buy a new mainboard for my Lumia 830?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Where can I buy a new mainboard for my Lumia 830

Simcardreader was broken. Tried to repair and solder a new one. Killed the mainboard.

docholliday666

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: Where can I buy a new mainboard for my Lumia 830

Why not? I've changed dozens of sim slots, sd slots, power jacks, usb jacks. Even added more RAM to some devices by replacing the onboard chip with a higher capacity chip.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure there's a de facto source like what usedpdaparts.com was for Palm PDAs. I'd check out eBay and other online sites.

Although your best bet may be snagging an externally wrecked 830 and using it as a donor.

Good job on DIY'ing the stuff!
Dont see as much of a modding community around these (I remember reading about Treo RAM upgrades back in the day) but at least these haven't reached Surface or HTC One levels of irreparability.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site

I have one that works, except for wireless charging. Two of the charging prongs are broken. I might have another as well, but I have to check.

PM me if you're interested.

OrlandoAlex

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site

I'm in a similar situation to the OP. Lumia 830 with broken off pin in the SIM reader, tried to fix, didn't work out (though everything else still works, thankfully). Even sent it in to Palco, the only Nokia-recommended repairer in the U.S. They wouldn't attempt a fix, said there were "lifted pads" so wouldn't touch it. Also talked to a shop in Illinois that offered $25 flat-rate SIM reader swaps, but I get the impression that place is a scam, considering their Better Business Bureau rating is an F and they seem to have a pattern of taking in phones/tablets and not returning them.

Now I'm hoping someone comes along with an absolutely pulverized 830 that somehow has a perfectly working mainboard. The ugly alternative is to send it to the UK, which is a pricey option (about $70 all told) when a used mainboard goes for $99 on eBay.

I'm curious, docholliday666, if you've seen the way the Lumia 830's mainboard is configured. I don't have the phone in front of me to say for sure, but there's something boxy on the opposite side of the mainboard from the SIM reader and I think it stands in the way of a straight-forward reader swap. Don't know what it is. Have you ever swapped on a spring-loaded nano-SIM reader? It would be my first. I actually have the replacement part, 10-day shipped from China for just $8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs