Is Android based software supported on Windows10?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

In paper i have read recently that phones which have microsoft windows 10 operating system will be able to download and run .apk and ios file which are used in android and apple user,
i want to also know that those phones which are able to upgrade in windows 10 from 8.1 (lumia 535) they can support ios or .apk file after upgrading.
please help me as i want to buy lumia 535 but i want to use .apk file in windows as the windows store is lagged behind from google store in number of application.please help me

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
You won't be able to convert Android apps to Windows apps yourself. The developers of those Android apps will need to convert them to Windows apps and add them to the Windows Store.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
In paper i have read recently that phones which have microsoft windows 10 operating system will be able to download and run .apk and ios file which are used in android and apple user,
i want to also know that those phones which are able to upgrade in windows 10 from 8.1 (lumia 535) they can support ios or .apk file after upgrading.
please help me as i want to buy lumia 535 but i want to use .apk file in windows as the windows store is lagged behind from google store in number of application.please help me

No, not exactly, the apps will have to be ported on to the store and when it does, it is in .appx format. It all depends on whether the developer bothers to port the app, which is very easy if there aren't any play services being used. Correct me if I'm wrong

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I haven't seen anything about the 512 phones running WP 10 will have the horse power to run these new apps. Anyone know for sure about this.

Well they have been phasing out phones with 512 so maybe maybe not. That could be why even the 430s have 1 GB of ram. Though they will support existing 512 phones with win10, they'll still recommend you upgrade :p

Which of course is easier said than done, not everyone can just go get a new phone whenever the heck they want. I fortunately will be upgrading to the 640 if TMo sells it for 89$ like it was shown on the Microsoft site previously.

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
That's a good question. I don't know either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

One of the BUILD talks I watched on Channel9 about creating bitmap assets talked briefly about considerations for small-memory devices in phones and IoT devices. I'd think that there's an implication that 512 MB will still be supported oncce W10 proper is out.

Back to topic, as people said it'll be up to the Android/iOS developers to port their apps to W10. But the presentations I've seen thus far make me optimistic about the ease.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
You won't be able to convert Android apps to Windows apps yourself. The developers of those Android apps will need to convert them to Windows apps and add them to the Windows Store.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Well, technically.......

I haven't seen anything about the 512 phones running WP 10 will have the horse power to run these new apps. Anyone know for sure about this.

The Android layer is built into the OS. It depends on the app whether it runs on 512 MB devices or not.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans