How can I connect a PC desktop to Microsoft's Wireless Display Adapter (WDA)?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

After moving an old custom-built PC into a different part of the house, I realize now that it does not have the ability to project to the Wireless Adapter on my living room T.V. After reading closely, it looks as though the Adapter can only stream from new, pre-built rigs, laptops, tablets, or new Windows Phones.

Again, seeing as the PC in question is custom built, what are my options? It can't project from the 'Device' menu because it's already projecting via HDMI to my monitor.

I've heard of the Actiontec adapters you can buy, but I want to make sure and see if anyone has had experience streaming content to MS's WDA adapter.

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I use the Microsoft's WDA in my office with great results with my Surface Pro and my Windows Phones, so it's a working (albeit pricey) piece of kit.

The specific requirements for Miracast are a display adapter that supports WDDM 1.3 and a wireless adapter that supports Wi-Fi Direct on the sending device--your PC in this case. Do you have those requirements fulfilled?

Kryzzly

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Re: Connecting a PC Desktop to Microsoft's Wireless Display Adapter (WDA)

Logged in with my actual profile.

Thanks for the reply. A couple questions on the requirements.
- For the WDDM adapter, my video card and processor (AMD A10) support WDDM 1.3. Does this work?
- The WI-FI Direct adapter, would that be a transmitter that I need to purchase?

Thanks!

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

The short answer is yes. If your PC doesn't already support Wi-Fi you'll need a transmitter.

The long answer is a bit more complicated in that for some folks after getting those requirements they still can't get Miracast working. I would do a double check from Support for your GPU and Transmitter to make sure both will allow you to have Miracast working. There are articles around and about of people that thought they met the requirements but really didn't.

Kryzzly

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site

Now when you say 'support Wi-Fi' is that the special WI-DI (Miracast) option for new PC's? The computer I'm trying to project from is custom built with a Wi-Fi adapter already installed. One of the main issues I have is that it's already connected via HDMI to a monitor. So when I attempt to project it, it does not give me the option to switch/or find a wireless display.Would plugging in a usb transmitter solve this issue?

Thanks again.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

yeah, WIDI/miracast is a pain. you need a supported video device, chipset, and wifi. I noticed nvidia started including miracast drivers during install (for shield streaming). not sure about amd or their plans.

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Now when you say 'support Wi-Fi' is that the special WI-DI (Miracast) option for new PC's? The computer I'm trying to project from is custom built with a Wi-Fi adapter already installed. One of the main issues I have is that it's already connected via HDMI to a monitor. So when I attempt to project it, it does not give me the option to switch/or find a wireless display.Would plugging in a usb transmitter solve this issue?

Thanks again.

If you put your monitor into something other than HDMI (like D-Sub or DVI) and tried to connect to a wireless display, will it let you connect? If it does, you won't need anything else, but you'll need to ask if you're okay with not using HDMI.

If it won't let you connect a wireless display even when not using HDMI, and your GPU supports WDDM 1.3 and Miracast, then you will need another wireless adapter that's capable of Wi-Fi Direct.

Kryzzly

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site

Yeah I already tried an HDMI-DVI adapter but it won't work and the audio doesn't transfer.

I'm still not finding a straight answer to any of these hardware mysteries or if my PC desktop is capable of Miracast. If I was to buy a wireless transmitter like the Actiontec Screenbeam ...Wireless Display ScreenBeam Transmitter from Actiontec
...will it connect to the Wireless Adapter? I'm worried that if I purchase it, it will only work with the Actiontec receiver.

Or....if I'm technically adding the display in my 'Charms' menu, would it be the receiver I need?
So confused....
What other options are available to me? Connecting a desktop pc WITHOUT miracast to a miracast receiver?

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I already tried an HDMI-DVI adapter but it won't work and the audio doesn't transfer.

Adapter? I'm worried that if I purchase it, it will only work with the Actiontec receiver.

Using an HDMI-to-DVI is still using the HDMI to run your current monitor. What I was asking is if you do not use HDMI at all, will it let you connect to a wireless receiver since you said it wouldn't let you because you were using HDMI? Like, if you have a VGA or DVI out from your PC use that to connect to the monitor. There will be no sound as a consequence because DVI or VGA does not deliver sound.

[strike]If the place you're getting that adapter from has a good return policy, you could also always try it to see if it works.[/strike] That adapter only works with Actiontech's ScreenBeam line of receivers; because it doesn't explicitly mention Miracast, I don't think it'll work with Microsoft's WDA.

As an aside, is this PC connected to a TV already? In which case I'm unsure why you'd need/want to use Miracast at this stage to cast to the TV instead of keeping it in HDMI. It may actually be a little choppier.

Kryzzly

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site

Sounds like a good idea. I've even got the adapter already. Funny problem is I don't think I own a VGA cable anymore. I'll have to dig one up. I'll keep you informed. Hopefully this test answers whether my desktop PC w/wifi can connect to the MWDA once and for all.

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Hah! That reminds me when I got my latest office job, was handed a VGA cable, looked at my Surface, and got really confused...

Good luck with it; I hope that try works so you don't have to buy anything else.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes