Lumia 930 or Lumia 1020 ?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
That depends on which features come first in your priorities. Here are the specifications for the Lumia 930 and the Lumia 1020 for your reference.

The main differences between these two are the screen size, the body finish, Sensor Core and the cellular frequency bands.

I would put Cellular frequency band compatibility at the top of the list of priorities - no use in having a phone if it can't connect to the mobile service provider anyway. Check the frequency bands your mobile service provider broadcasts in and see which of these two phones are compatible with those.

Camera: well the L1020 has more megapixels, but 20MP is often more than what is needed in most occasions. I enjoy taking pseudo-telephoto shots (extreme post-zooming) which the L1020 should be more capable of doing than the L930, but then not all users are this type of a photographer.

Screen size: see which phone sits more comfortably in your hands, and which among the two appeals more to your eyes. The L930, however, not only has a bigger screen but also a higher pixel density.

Sensor Core: L930 wins here; the L1020 simply doesn't have this feature. If you want additional "geeky" data on what your phone experiences (accelerometer data, such as in walking) without having to keep any app running in the background, the Sensor Core is for you.

Price: I didn't mention this in the quick list since I'm not aware of the current prices of these two. However, the L930 might be easier to find that the L1020 at this point in time.

If you can compare these two in a physical store, that should be the most definitive and conclusive basis for your decision - users tend to greatly vary in opinion.

As a person who likes taking photos with as much detail as I can, I would say 60-40 for the L930 vs L1020. If I could forget about the 41MP sensor, then it would be 80-20 L930 vs L1020... with the presumption that both phones are equally compatible with my network/mobile service provider.

And lastly, welcome to Windows Central.

anon(5326758)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
As an avid photographer who has owned both phones, The 930 is superior in almost every way. The speed, screen resolution and functionality are all miles ahead of the 1020. The camera on the 1020 will take highly detailed pictures that you can zoom way into, but unless you are using a tripod the motion blur will reduce most of that distant detail to noise. Also you are waiting an agonizing amount of time to take a picture - I have missed many photos on the 1020 because the subject was gone.

On the negative side for the 930, the Lumia Camera 5 software over-sharpens photos so they look unnatural (but this seems to be the trend in all cameraphones - the pics are comparable to the Galaxy 6), and there is no glance screen. I no longer miss the glance screen or the 1020 camera, though I wish there was a slider to reduce sharpness in post-processing.

Cameras aside the 930 is way ahead of the 1020. Don't let product numbers fool you - the 1020 is basically a 920 with a huge camera.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
As an avid photographer who has owned both phones, The 930 is superior in almost every way. The speed, screen resolution and functionality are all miles ahead of the 1020. The camera on the 1020 will take highly detailed pictures that you can zoom way into, but unless you are using a tripod the motion blur will reduce most of that distant detail to noise. Also you are waiting an agonizing amount of time to take a picture - I have missed many photos on the 1020 because the subject was gone.

On the negative side for the 930, the Lumia Camera 5 software over-sharpens photos so they look unnatural (but this seems to be the trend in all cameraphones - the pics are comparable to the Galaxy 6), and there is no glance screen. I no longer miss the glance screen or the 1020 camera, though I wish there was a slider to reduce sharpness in post-processing.

Cameras aside the 930 is way ahead of the 1020. Don't let product numbers fool you - the 1020 is basically a 920 with a huge camera.

You can adjust the sharpness, contrast, brightness,saturation, etc. All in Lumia Creative Studio

Criss Moon

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Thank you very much everyone. It was my first post in this community and the suggestions are very useful. I'm very happy. This forums is very helpful and You guys are awesome :D

L1020 is bit older (2013) so I thought It wouldn't be so expensive. but When I went to store then I found out that L1020 is more expensive than the L930 (In India). and I've heard L1020 isn't available in most of the countries. (I contacted with Microsoft Authorized OEM Distributors & Nokia Distributor in Bangladesh & India)

In India
Lumia 930 Price 30899 INR = 484 USD
Lumia 1020 Price 48000 INR = 753 USD (N/A)

In Bangladesh (Both of them aren't available)
Lumia 930 Price 45999 BDT = 591 USD
Lumia 1020 Price 44300 BDT = 569 USD

So I've ordered The Lumia 930 Black :) I so wanted to get the White or the Orange one but they have black only, I think I can change the back cover. I like the design of L1020, It is so eye-catching.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Thank you very much everyone. It was my first post in this community and the suggestions are very useful. I'm very happy. This forums is very helpful and You guys are awesome :D

L1020 is bit older (2013) so I thought It wouldn't be so expensive. but When I went to store then I found out that L1020 is more expensive than the L930 (In India). and I've heard L1020 isn't available in most of the countries. (I contacted with Microsoft Authorized OEM Distributors & Nokia Distributor in Bangladesh & India)

In India
Lumia 930 Price 30899 INR = 484 USD
Lumia 1020 Price 48000 INR = 753 USD (N/A)

In Bangladesh (Both of them aren't available)
Lumia 930 Price 45999 BDT = 591 USD
Lumia 1020 Price 44300 BDT = 569 USD

So I've ordered The Lumia 930 Black :) I so wanted to get the White or the Orange one but they have black only, I think I can change the back cover. I like the design of L1020, It is so eye-catching.
Be sure to come visit us in the 930 forums!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon