Lumia 830 or HTC one m8?

zahi-o

May 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi all, I'm just done with playing with a Lumia 635 that I got from a friend and decided to fully move from my nexus 4 to a windows phone. It's funny but even the "low budget" 635 is actually feels like a better phone then the nexus. But still, I need a stronger device, not for games but for work related usage.
I found on eBay that both the 830 and the m8 are kind of the same price. Are there any recommendations that would help me decide?
Thanks in advance.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
From a raw horsepower perspective, the M8 blows away the 830. (compare to Lumia 930 and 1520 instead)

The 830 is similar to the 635 under-the-hood except for having 1 GB of RAM, which does make a difference.

From there, you're looking at the smaller features. I'd get the 830 because I value OIS, Qi and some other smaller details in a smartphone and don't mind not having the fastest phone around. but for the next guy...

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'd go Lumia 830. While the specs may be better on m8, I'd personally choose the Lumia as it is likely to be better supported and longer than anything HTC does. Keep in mind the Lumia apps and that even now during the insider program, Lumia get priority on the beta versions.

Plus the camera on m8 really is not much better than a 635. I have a 1520 and I am already looking at the 830 to have something new.

For the true experience with little compromise I always recommend Lumia first

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Have to say I have the 930 and love it! Like all other phones,though,people have had various issue. I've been lucky and mine works great(for me). If you're an "ok google" user, you will love "hey Cortana".

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
What about the 1520? Is it too big for you... Other than size its literally the most feature packed and highest spec'd Lumia with no compromises...
And its not as expensive as the m8 either, since its older... eBay is your friend

zahi-o

May 10, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the fast answers!
The thing is, I would love to put my hands on a 930, it is priced a hundred $ more then the m8 and the 830. I don't really mind all the Lumia apps, they seems useless to me, when I think about it, I don't think that I am using even one of them... My concern is a phone that will last for the next couple of years, which, I know, is asking for a lot these days...
Donnow, the more I think about it the more I am compelled to the m8. I thought about wait for the 640 but it doesn't sound like much a jump forward from my beloved 635...

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
When I was faced with the same choice, I picked the M8.

Coming from a 920 I lost glance, Lumia apps, Qi and call blocking. As it turns out the apps is a non issue, the non system apps have no real value Vs 3rd party apps. The others were not a big loss for me especially since battery life is so good.

Aesthetically I far preferred the M8 over the 830. Also the power that equals more longevity. The camera is a problem for some as they feel megapixels equal good, it is a good camera, just not in macro and zoom situations due to resolution. The increased pixel size compensates in general use and you also get the duo effects unique to HTC.

The speakers are superb and not to be overlooked, the on screen navigation is also a great improvement in not being able to accidentally hit buttons. At the same price I see it as a better value with the increased power, but in the end its a personal preference as to what suits you.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
You mentioned "work related usage" for the phone. If the Lumia apps are useless to you, and the camera is not a priority then in my thoughts you should go with the M8. The raw horsepower of the M8 does (as xandros9 stated) "blows away the 830". I have an M8 and I also have an 830 and I use both. I think you'll appreciate the extra power, battery life, and speed on the M8 for your work. Both devices are great in there respective class.

I find myself using the M8 more than the 830 because of the amazing speed and smoothness. The front facing speakers of the M8 have me spoiled. They're very good. If I know I'm going to be somewhere where I'll want really good pictures/video, I'll take my 830 for that (like I did at a Rush concert here on Friday). My main driver was the M8, but I used the 830 for pics and videos.

P.S. Edit: The M8 comes with 32GB phone storage. 830 has 16GB.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon