Should I upgrade from my Lumia 920?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I dropped my Lumia 920 on my tile floor and cracked the screen. :( I'm looking to replace the phone and would like opinions. Should I stick with the 920? I really like it, but I'm wondering if I should upgrade. I can't tell from model numbers which are newer, because they're all over the map. Usually a higher number means a newer and better phone, but not so apparently because it looks like the newest one is the 640xl.
Would love to hear what you all think.
Thanks!
Jennifer

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
This is a very open question.
If you like your 920 you could check how much it would cost to replace the screen.
Or check how much a new / refurbished/ or second hand 920 would cost.

The numbering is indeed confusing.

But if you want to upgrade then how much do you want to spend?
How big must the screen be?
Do you want to use QI charging?
Do you want Glance?
Your current phone has no SD card must your new phone have one or not?
How good must the camera be?
Or are you locked to a carrier which only has a few windows phones?

So please register and reply on this post with some more "needs".

Last edited:

Jennifer Saks

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Sorry...I'm already registered. Okay, I do like my Lumia 920 very much. But I took it in to see about repairing it and the guy I've used in the past said this particular phone is notorious for having glitches after replacing the screen. I'm already noticing one since breaking the screen, so I figure it's time to either 1) replace it with the same thing or 2) upgrade. I don't mind spending more money, but want certain things: I want the phone to be at least as powerful as the 920. I want 32gb of RAM. Mine seems to have enough at that, so I want that. At LEAST as good a camera as the 920. Don't care about QI charging. Screen should be 4.5-5".
Basically, I'm wondering if it is worth the extra cash to upgrade to one of the newest generation phones branded by Microsoft--looking at the 540 and 640. I don't play games, so don't need enough memory for that, but like to store photos on my phone and I listen to music and watch the occasional video on the phone.
So...anyone out there who has one of the fourth generation phones? What do you like better about it, and what do you see as problems, if any?
Jennifer

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Windows Central Jennifer,

The 920 was a Top end Lumia when you bought it but now the Mid range 830 is "better" so the 830 would be a good replacement. Nokia Lumia 830 vs Lumia 920: Is it a worthy upgrade? | Windows Central

If you want an upgrade and it has to be a Lumia you only can get the 930 or the HTC M8.
(But the m8 camera gets a bad review)

If you want a more affordable you can go for the 735 /730/640 but camera wise it will be a "downgrade". See http://forums.windowscentral.com/de...d-range-lumia-shootout-535-640-735-830-a.html

Furthermore the 730 has no 4g and for the 640 you have the get the LTE version.

If you go for the 830, 735, 730, 640 you have to buy a microSD card because there internal memory is lower 830 = 16GB the others 8GB. Depending on the SD card size you buy you even will get more storage space.

I hope above makes it easier to choose and if you have further questions please ask.

YanivC

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Harrie, however there are 2 questions still left unanswered. What do you mostly do with your phone and do you plan on upgrading to Windows 10 Mobile?
People tend to ask me often what phone should they switch to or whats the best phone on th market or is Android better than iPhone (we all know the right answer to that question right?). I always ask them simply, what do you do with your phone?
If youre a techie, you want to be able to "hack" your phone or you're a "prosumer" you obviously want something with a little more power to it. However, if you simply check email, facebook, twitter, etc... then by all means simple replace your 920 with another one through eBay or something or even the 630 (cant believe how cheap it is).
I was at the Microsoft build event last year and won a 1520 as a developers prize, and although it is a beast of a device, I went back to my 830. For me it was question of power and portability plus a decent camera.
If you want a powerful device, don't mind spending the money and plan on upgrading to 10 then I would say wait it out, buy a cheap 630 or even a 520 (I bought 3 of em for $25 each on Amazon) and wait till the flagships come out this summer.
I am personally holing on to my 830 until that 940 comes out :)

Jennifer Saks

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
What I do with my phone is make phone calls (!), Facebook, internet, listen to music, occasionally watch a video (screen is pretty small for a good experience there) and take photos. My phone has almost taken over for my digital camera, since I seldom want to carry two devices. I take my camera if I KNOW I will be going someplace to take a photo, but otherwise my phone does the trick. Therefore, I really want a phone with an excellent camera. That would keep me from downgrading. I like Harrie's info...that gives me something to think about. Will take a look at the 830 and others he mentioned. I have loved everything about my 920...the look, the feel, everything about it. I'm not bothered that it doesn't have all the apps the iphone has. I've found it has just about anything I need. More than I was used to, since it's my first smartphone! Thanks everyone...will let you know what I decide. I've had some good advice.

Jennifer Saks

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Should also say...I'm not sure about Windows 10 yet. I might not like it! :) I'm still using Windows 7 on my computer since it's my favorite. 8 is fine, and I'm also used to it, but sill prefer 7. Will have to see about 10. That's one reason why I'm not so sure I'll upgrade that far yet.

YanivC

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Jennifer understood. Like so many people I talk to, they arent really ready yet to leave their comfort zone.
Ive installed 10 already on one of my laptops and Im loving it so far. However it is a huge departure from what people are used to. Im of the mind that it will happen sooner rather than later so why not jump in and take a swim :)
I have the 830 by the way and it is fantastic. Screen is gorgeous, camera is excellent! Also powerful enough for any app in the store and removable SD card means unlimited storage. Got mine of eBay in NEW condition for $200 so there are really good deals to be had out there.

YanivC

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Jennifer, mine was actually used, but in new condition so I went with that. The seller had a good rating plus accepted returns so the only thing really lost is time. Always check that when buying on eBay, what is the sellers rating and return policy.
Refurbished phones can be a great buy if they offer returns.

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I just replaced my 920 with a new 920. I have a dual SIM 730 that I was going to use until new flagships arrived but missed my 920 too much. You can find them new and factory sealed at b&h photo for $200.

Jennifer Saks

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Very true. My first windows phone was a Lumia 900 and I was really disappointed when the screen stopped working just a week after the date to return by. argh. So I've been a bit gunshy, but you are so right.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I owned a 920 for a year and a half, then got a 1520, and now I'm on a 830. I still have my 920. I loved that thing... a beast that brought such important firsts to the mobile landscape. I think the 830 is more than a viable replacement... between the 5" display, slim, sleek design, micro sd card support, wireless charging, removable battery, exchangable back covers, much improved battery life (vs the 920). Make sure you go for the RM-985 variant if you're looking for the silver unlocked version, that will get you LTE bands on AT&T and T-Mobile.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234