Clarification: running in the background.

areithropos

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Is "Running in the background" related to the ability of an app to keep working when I put it in the background with the Windows button to open another app?

Or does it mean other functions of apps only working behind the scenes like updating the calendar?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's not true multi-tasking as such.

Background processing allows the app to wake up on a scheduled basis and make a request to whatever server it's connected to and then give you a notification. Servers can also "push" notifications to the app on your phone (for example, getting a bid on your eBay items).

So the full app isn't really running, it's a small "listening" agent portion of the app. When the agent has a notification, you get the notification and opens the app properly when you want to (but not if you dismiss the notification).

areithropos

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Thanks! I was aware that apps are not running in the background like they do in the foreground but I was curious about some more infos about the topic.

So as example, does HERE Drive have to run in the background? Or does it not matter? Does it only sync the favourites in the background? The power saver app tells me that it is not using much battery in the background but I am not even sure if the infos of that app are the whole picture.

But I fear there is no source of info to get such details about the workings of apps in the background to decide for sure which app should be allowed or not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs