HERE Maps or Maps?

Siguardius

May 5, 2015
Visit site
So there is app HERE Maps along with Maps on Windows Phone. I would like to ask you which one is better. Or rather is Maps enough and can I uninstall HERE Maps to save some space on my phone?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I keep both of them in my phone because:

1. My favorite places are saved in the Maps app - the same favorite places that Cortana and the official Calendar app use. Having all my locations organized in an account that can be used by Cortana and my Calendar app is very useful and convenient. Although HERE Maps also has "favorites" or "saved locations", last time I checked there was no way to sync them across to my Microsoft account, making them inaccessible to Cortana and Calendar.

2. HERE Maps provides me with a lot of places of interest and some information about the location I'm currently in. At least where I'm in, HERE Maps is more detailed than the native Maps app (Scout). However, I must also mention that there are other third party apps that are more detailed than HERE Maps, but HERE Maps is beginning to catch up with them anyway. Lastly, HERE Maps has augmented reality view.

Aside from these, both are relatively equal. Both of them are capable of 3D navigation, which orients the map using the digital compass. Both of them basically have the same map rendering - this is expected because both of them (and almost every other map app for Windows phones) seem to use Bing Maps as the default Map layer.

So, in summary: I keep the native Maps app for my favorite locations, and I keep HERE Maps to see what's around me.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
How much storage space does your Windows Phone have, anyway?:cool:

Just checked my HERE Maps - it's taking up around 69 MB of space, which is not really that much. If you rarely check the places around you, then you could uninstall HERE Maps, but I'd advise you to at least leave the default Maps app on your phone because of the Cortana and Calendar integration.

What are you looking for in a map app, by the way?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs