Quality SD Cards

nrimolde

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I am sick of having problems with SD cards and spending money to try and find better ones. I use a Lumia 1520 on AT&T. I love this phone but, the problem is that the AT&T version only has 16GB built in. I can't fit all my apps let alone my music in that little of space.

That's where the SD Card Problems come in. Whether it be the annoying "check for problems" message appearing for seemingly no reason, or being unable to record video to the SD card because it is too slow, I am running out of patience and money to buy new cards.

I have used both a SanDisk and PNY brand SD cards. Both of which were 32 GB. I had tried a Class 10 SanDisk card, then a Class 4 SanDisk card after reading what I know realize was a very misleading article. I am now using a Class 10 PNY card. The PNY I have had the best luck with but, seems to me it could be a lot better.

Does anyone out there know where I can buy a better quality SD card? More cost initially is not a problem so long as I don't have to keep buying new SD cards. I would love to be able to store most if not all of my data (OS restrictions aside) on the SD card including 2160p Video recording.

Any helpful information is welcome.

Thanks

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
My preferences for cards are the newer Samsung cards.
Sony cards have never failed me either.

Had failures with Transcend, SanDisk and Patriot SD-cards in both uSD and regular SD.

When disconnecting a windows phone from PC it's crucial to unload the USB connection via the utility found in the notification area.
Disconnecting any plugged in memory device from Windows explorer should prevent file system glitching that results in memory error scanning.

Good luck there.

nrimolde

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
My preferences for cards are the newer Samsung cards.
Sony cards have never failed me either.

Had failures with Transcend, SanDisk and Patriot SD-cards in both uSD and regular SD.

When disconnecting a windows phone from PC it's crucial to unload the USB connection via the utility found in the notification area.
Disconnecting any plugged in memory device from Windows explorer should prevent file system glitching that results in memory error scanning.

Good luck there.

Just out of curiosity, have you used them in Windows Phones, and if so, what was your experience?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, have you used them in Windows Phones, and if so, what was your experience?

Yes,
No problems with Sony or Samsung EVO cards in any Windows/Microsoft phones or any phone or device.
Steady data burst and acceptable read/writes for image processing and video.

I just bought another Sony branded 64 GB uSD card at Fry's Electronics for $29.99 on sale.

nrimolde

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Yes,
No problems with Sony or Samsung EVO cards in any Windows/Microsoft phones or any phone or device.
Steady data burst and acceptable read/writes for image processing and video.

I just bought another Sony branded 64 GB uSD card at Fry's Electronics for $29.99 on sale.

Thanks for that info. Is there any specific series that either of those companies makes that's better or worse? If not, I assume Class 10 cards are the best way to go?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Either brand C10 has been fine for me. I recommend the Evo cards with Samsung. Those are very common and easily found just about everywhere.

Posted from the ZenFone2 via the WC app for Android

nrimolde

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I was poking around on Amazon after reading what you had to say about SD cards. Is the Samsung Pro Series worth the extra money over the Evo series with the claims about them being faster?

nrimolde

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Well I guess I've got some decisions to make. I will reply when I've been using the new card for a while (for anyone else who may find this thread).

Thanks again for all of your input.

-8-

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I can also recommend Kingston class 10 microSD cards which I'm currently using in my phone.

Also make sure you don't buy better than UHS-1 class cards, because your phone would become the bottleneck for the read/write speads.
See also this handy post about SD cards:
http://www.windowscentral.com/which-microsd-cards-work-microsoft-lumia-640

nrimolde

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I can also recommend Kingston class 10 microSD cards which I'm currently using in my phone.

Also make sure you don't buy better than UHS-1 class cards, because your phone would become the bottleneck for the read/write speads.
See also this handy post about SD cards:
http://www.windowscentral.com/which-microsd-cards-work-microsoft-lumia-640

Thanks for your input. I'll take a look at that page too.

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Also, would be safe to avoid uhs1 and up, some phones have run into issues with that USB high speed bus and have corrupted files on the sd card or fails to recognize it. So don't go higher than class 10. Just to be safe :)

My L635 has ruined two uhs1 cards, stuck with my regular class 10 though it corrupts apps so I can only store music/photos/videos.

nrimolde

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Just purchsed a Samsung Pro 64 GB Micro SD Card. Sadly had to purchase it online since I live in a pretty rural area.

I will update after having used it a while. I'm very much hoping it is worth the extra money and that I will quit having so many problems.

Thanks to everyone who gave me some input.

nrimolde

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Just purchsed a Samsung Pro 64 GB Micro SD Card. Sadly had to purchase it online since I live in a pretty rural area.

I will update after having used it a while. I'm very much hoping it is worth the extra money and that I will quit having so many problems.

Thanks to everyone who gave me some input.

Very happy with this SD card. Have been having no issues anymore whatsoever.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett