Laptop Screen Repair?

AsilentG

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi,Was wondering if you can recommend me some good places were I can get my cracked screen of my laptop fixed.(I live in CA,Valley Area)

Last edited:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The simplest solution would be to go onto your laptops' oem website and look for your local authorized service centres. (This way you could get some sort of extended warranty to cover your screen or laptop).

As some of the high street shops tend to use 2nd hand or substandard parts as many people don't know what exact part number is for their device. You can find said number in the laptop service manuals also usually on the Laptop's manufacturers website (personally I like HP's service manuals as they list all the variant parts).

AsilentG

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
The simplest solution would be to go onto your laptops' oem website and look for your local authorized service centres. (This way you could get some sort of extended warranty to cover your screen or laptop).

As some of the high street shops tend to use 2nd hand or substandard parts as many people don't know what exact part number is for their device. You can find said number in the laptop service manuals also usually on the Laptop's manufacturers website (personally I like HP's service manuals as they list all the variant parts).

I actually have a HP laptop

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi,Was wondering if you can recommend me some good places were I can get my cracked screen of my laptop fixed.(I live in CA,Valley Area)

If your tech savvy you could fix it yourself. It would only cost you in around $30 to get a screen (new) of ebay and install it yourself. Just look at the bar code behind your screen and look for the corresponding model/manufacturer number.
**This part requires you to disassemble your laptop** I fix my own and I also fix chromebooks too. Super cheap. **Only if your out of warranty but if your in warranty I'd suggest going back to where you bought it and see if they can help**

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
djeire84 is correct. You don't even have to be too tech savvy! It does vary somewhat though by how your laptop is constructed. Some require little more than removing the bezel, while on others you may need to remove the keyboard and its bezel. But it shouldn't require more than an hour of time, and the LCDs usually run $40 - 75$ on eBay or Amazon, depending on which one you need.

The best way to get the correct replacement is to remove the broken LCD and order the replacement based on the model number on the back. It will usually be a number like XXX123XX45-X67 (format will vary). Also look at the description for something like "Connector bottom left" to help get the correct configuration.

If I didn't live on the other side of the country I'd love to help more!

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
If there's a Fry's Electronics near you have their tech desk look at it if you don't want to try fixing it yourself.
Since that's an HP notebook you'll have no problems fixing it.
HP parts are available everywhere.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
There probably are videos on YouTube that show how to replace the screen. I had an HP laptop with a bad screen. I ordered a replacement and watched a YouTube video that showed how to replace the screen. They had a video for the exact same model HP laptop I had.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
djeire84 is correct. You don't even have to be too tech savvy! It does vary somewhat though by how your laptop is constructed. Some require little more than removing the bezel, while on others you may need to remove the keyboard and its bezel. But it shouldn't require more than an hour of time, and the LCDs usually run $40 - 75$ on eBay or Amazon, depending on which one you need.

The best way to get the correct replacement is to remove the broken LCD and order the replacement based on the model number on the back. It will usually be a number like XXX123XX45-X67 (format will vary). Also look at the description for something like "Connector bottom left" to help get the correct configuration.

If I didn't live on the other side of the country I'd love to help more!

To add further you can also post a pic of the connector to the seller on Ebay so that you can get confirmation that the LCD connector type is right. Do this on private mail. But usually when you put in the manufacturer and model number usually its easy to find the right replacement. Chromebooks require only bezel removal, the likes of Dell inspiron for example require the base (where the keyboard sits) to be disassembled along with the removal if the LCD from the lid.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
First of all which HP model do you have?

Secondly if your going to be replacing the screen yourself, watch a handful of repair videos for your model. I say handful as some use brute force and that always makes me cringe... you could end up ripping a few ribbon cables doing that.

If your going to be replacing the screen yourself, you might need the following - this will depend on your model as for some models the screen has two or more cables requiring almost complete dis-assembly :

1) 4 plastic pry tools (2 spare in case you break the other two)
2) a torx screw driver set
3) tweezers
4) a small flat screw driver
5) a small phillips screw driver
6) anti static wrist strap
7) different types of containers for the different screws - some forget which screw goes where and also this prevents you from losing screws. (I use the small plastic sauce containers that you get with takeaways they have lids on them - fool proof way of preventing screw loss).
8) Optional - a large piece of card board so you can put down the screen on it and put the screws in it.

Also make sure you get magnetised screw bits / screw drivers makes life so much easier as invariably some screws will slip and become embedded inside the laptop :grincry:.

Always be incredibly gentle with the connectors (use the tweezers if you can and not your hands), too much force and you will break them and cause more damage.

AsilentG

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
First of all which HP model do you have?

Secondly if your going to be replacing the screen yourself, watch a handful of repair videos for your model. I say handful as some use brute force and that always makes me cringe... you could end up ripping a few ribbon cables doing that.

If your going to be replacing the screen yourself, you might need the following - this will depend on your model as for some models the screen has two or more cables requiring almost complete dis-assembly :

1) 4 plastic pry tools (2 spare in case you break the other two)
2) a torx screw driver set
3) tweezers
4) a small flat screw driver
5) a small phillips screw driver
6) anti static wrist strap
7) different types of containers for the different screws - some forget which screw goes where and also this prevents you from losing screws. (I use the small plastic sauce containers that you get with takeaways they have lids on them - fool proof way of preventing screw loss).
8) Optional - a large piece of card board so you can put down the screen on it and put the screws in it.

Also make sure you get magnetised screw bits / screw drivers makes life so much easier as invariably some screws will slip and become embedded inside the laptop :grincry:.

Always be incredibly gentle with the connectors (use the tweezers if you can and not your hands), too much force and you will break them and cause more damage.

I have the HP 15 Notebook �

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720